Man Removed From Aircraft After Making Racist Comments Toward Crew
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 70-year-old-man was taken off a flight yesterday after making racist comments toward a member of the crew.
The man was aboard a Binter Canarias aircraft that was traveling from Tenerife North Airport (TFN) to La Palma (SPC). As he was boarding the plane, witnesses say he “hurl[ed] racist abuse” at a black flight attendant.
Binter Canarias is a small Spanish regional airline that operates flights between the Canary Islands.
“I don’t want blacks around me,” the 70-year-old-man told the female flight attendant, according to Spanish media outlet El Pais. The incident occurred on March 14.
The man then took his seat but was quickly asked to leave the aircraft by the pilot.
Witnesses captured video of the incident showing yelling between the crew and the passenger. Eventually, Spanish police come aboard — leading the man to grab his bag and head off the aircraft.
The altercation delayed the ATR 72 by 20 minutes, and the airline filed a complaint against the man for “racial abuse.”
The airline issued the following statement in a tweet:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.