Man Removed From Aircraft After Making Racist Comments Toward Crew
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 70-year-old-man was taken off a flight yesterday after making racist comments toward a member of the crew.
The man was aboard a Binter Canarias aircraft that was traveling from Tenerife North Airport (TFN) to La Palma (SPC). As he was boarding the plane, witnesses say he “hurl[ed] racist abuse” at a black flight attendant.
Binter Canarias is a small Spanish regional airline that operates flights between the Canary Islands.
“I don’t want blacks around me,” the 70-year-old-man told the female flight attendant, according to Spanish media outlet El Pais. The incident occurred on March 14.
The man then took his seat but was quickly asked to leave the aircraft by the pilot.
Witnesses captured video of the incident showing yelling between the crew and the passenger. Eventually, Spanish police come aboard — leading the man to grab his bag and head off the aircraft.
The altercation delayed the ATR 72 by 20 minutes, and the airline filed a complaint against the man for “racial abuse.”
The airline issued the following statement in a tweet:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees