This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa Group posted record profits in 2017, the behemoth German-based aviation group reported on Thursday.
The airline collective, which includes Lufthansa, Eurowings, Swiss, Brussels Airlines and Austrian Airlines, made profits totaling $2.92 billion last year, which was 33% higher than financial experts had predicted. Lufthansa Group said it also increased its customer base by 20 million passengers and grew revenue by 12%.
The jump in earnings and passengers is due in part to the bankruptcy of rival carrier Air Berlin. When Air Berlin declared bankruptcy in 2017, Lufthansa bought more than half of its operations, including 81 of its airplanes, 3,000 members of its staff and Air Berlin subsidiary regional carriers Niki and LG Walter.
Lufthansa’s record earnings report comes as the airline announces it’s cutting its Berlin (TXL) – New York (JFK) route because the carrier was unable to obtain the ideal arrival and departure times to fill the flights and make them profitable. Passengers instead will have to connect through Frankfurt if they want to fly Lufthansa between TXL and JFK.
H/T: The Local
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees