Lufthansa Makes Record Profit, Axes Berlin-New York Route
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa Group posted record profits in 2017, the behemoth German-based aviation group reported on Thursday.
The airline collective, which includes Lufthansa, Eurowings, Swiss, Brussels Airlines and Austrian Airlines, made profits totaling $2.92 billion last year, which was 33% higher than financial experts had predicted. Lufthansa Group said it also increased its customer base by 20 million passengers and grew revenue by 12%.
The jump in earnings and passengers is due in part to the bankruptcy of rival carrier Air Berlin. When Air Berlin declared bankruptcy in 2017, Lufthansa bought more than half of its operations, including 81 of its airplanes, 3,000 members of its staff and Air Berlin subsidiary regional carriers Niki and LG Walter.
Lufthansa’s record earnings report comes as the airline announces it’s cutting its Berlin (TXL) – New York (JFK) route because the carrier was unable to obtain the ideal arrival and departure times to fill the flights and make them profitable. Passengers instead will have to connect through Frankfurt if they want to fly Lufthansa between TXL and JFK.
H/T: The Local
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.