Let the Good Times Fly! Louisiana Gets Flag-Inspired Livery
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week, Southwest unveiled the newest member of its specialty aircraft fleet — Louisiana One. The Texas-based airline flew the Boeing 737-700 on Wednesday, March 7, to Louis Armstrong International Airport (MSY), where the plane was greeted by Southwest employees and customers, state and local politicians and, in true NOLA-fashion, a celebration with a second line and brass band.
The livery of the plane is covered in Louisiana’s state flag — a pelican feeding three of her chicks, complete with the state’s motto: “Union, Justice, and Confidence.” Louisiana was the first state Southwest served outside of Texas. The airline is honoring the state’s 39 years of patronage with the new aircraft.
“This tribute to the Pelican State is a demonstration of our valued partnership with Southwest Airlines,” Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards said in a statement to Southwest. “We are honored that Louisiana One will be an ambassador for our great state flying throughout the country.”
Louisiana and Southwest have a long-standing history together — Southwest’s first inflight music performance was on its inaugural flight to New Orleans in 1979. In 2017 alone, Southwest shipped nearly 2 million pounds of crawfish and live crabs as cargo in the Pelican State.
Painting the 737 took 1,900 hours and 126 gallons of paint to complete the artist’s rendition of the state flag. The wingspan of the pelican on the fuselage is 82 feet wide, and each baby pelican is nearly five feet tall.
Southwest is the largest carrier at Louis Armstrong International (MSY) and has seen tremendous growth since arriving in 1979. Currently, MSY operates more than 50 daily nonstop Southwest departures to 21 destinations from New Orleans. And this spring, Southwest is adding three new nonstop flights to Sacramento, San Jose and Cancun.
Louisiana One joins 11 other state-themed 737s in the Southwest fleet: Arizona One, California One, Colorado One, Florida One, Illinois One, Lone Star One (Texas), Maryland One, Missouri One, Nevada One, New Mexico One and Tennessee One.
Featured image courtesy of Southwest Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees