Hawaiian Airlines and Japan Airlines Launch Codeshare
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Japan Airlines and Hawaiian Airlines have joined forces to launch a new codeshare partnership, effective Friday. As part of the new partnership, travelers can expect a more seamless booking and travel experience between the two carriers.
The partnership, which was first announced in September 2017 but did not go into effect until Friday, provides extensive codeshare benefits like lounge access and loyalty program reciprocity.
The partnership will allow for Hawaiian passengers to use 36 of JAL’s domestic and 11 of its international destinations (subject to government approval). In addition, passengers will be able to book travel for each of the airlines on the opposite carrier’s site, with the ability to earn reciprocal miles for flights on either carrier. Finally, passengers with Hawaiian and JAL will get reciprocal lounge benefits.
“We’re excited to extend our reach in Japan and welcome new guests onboard Hawaiian so they may experience our hospitality and the unique charm of our islands,” said Peter Ingram, president and CEO at Hawaiian Airlines. “We’re also thrilled to offer Hawaii residents the ability to earn HawaiianMiles while traveling to popular cities beyond our gateways including Fukuoka, Nagoya and Okinawa.”
As part of the next phase for the partnership, Hawaiian and JAL plan to create a joint venture through an antitrust agreement. The two will file the necessary paperwork with the Department of Transportation and Japanese authorities in April.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.