Flight in Sweden Goes to Wrong Airport — 600 Miles Away
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on a flight in Sweden were surprised when their plane unexpectedly landed more than 600 miles away from its intended destination.
The NextJet flight departed on Monday from Sundsvall Airport (SDL), located in the middle of the country. The aircraft was supposed to fly west to Gothenburg (GOT), but instead it went hundreds of miles off course to the northern city of Lulea (LLA).
NextJet said it had to change the route last minute due to weather conditions in the plane’s original destination, Gothenburg. The only precaution the airline didn’t take was alerting the flight’s 34 passengers that they were going to an entirely different region of the country. The flight was delayed for three hours, and then it took off for Lulea, where the shocked passengers stayed in a hotel and were flown to Gothenburg the next day.
“It appears to have been a huge miss in communications between the airport in Sundsvall and us,” NextJet’s Marketing Director, Henning Lindberg, told a Swedish newspaper.
“I just laughed,” Roger Leirvik, a passenger on the flight, said. “What can you do?”
H/T: The Local Sweden
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees