Outage Grounds Spirit Airlines Flights Briefly on Friday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines flights were grounded for one hour on Friday evening, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.
TPG writer JT Genter noticed the FAA advisory, which said flights are grounded at least until 6pm ET. (The times in the advisory are expressed in 24-hour format and Greenwich Mean Time, five hours ahead of US Eastern Time.)
It looks like the carrier likely experienced a massive computer outage that shut down all airline operations.
The advisory first went out at 5:15 ET, and was later updated at 5:26 ET with the remark: “Possibility of extension high.” According to Spirit, the outage was resolved after one hour. The story has been updated to reflect the duration of the outage.
Featured image courtesy of JT Genter
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.