Emirates Crew Member Falls From 777-300ER in Uganda
Update 3/15/18: Several reports confirm that the crew member died after arriving at a nearby hospital on Wednesday night.
Update 3/14/18 1:55pm: Emirates has confirmed the incident. A representative provided the following statement:
We can confirm that a member of our cabin crew unfortunately fell from an open door while preparing the aircraft for boarding on flight EK729 from Entebbe today (14 March 2018). The injured crew member was brought to the nearest hospital. We are providing all possible support and care for the affected crew, and will extend our full co-operation to the authorities in their investigation.
An Emirates crew member fell from a 777-300ER prior to its return from Entebbe, Uganda (EBB) to Dubai (DXB), according to several Ugandan media reports and eyewitness accounts. The female crew member reportedly jumped out of an open door while the plane was on the ground, according to a report in Uganda’s Daily Monitor (warning: graphic images).
An airline employee speaking on background confirmed the report, however we’re still awaiting a response from Emirates’ public relations department, as the airline is reportedly currently working to inform the employee’s family. Crew members operating this round-trip spend 24 hours on the ground before returning to Dubai — the victim was reportedly a cabin supervisor working the return flight, Emirates 730, which departed EBB just over an hour behind schedule.
A report from an Entebbe radio station’s verified Twitter account states that the employee died upon reaching the hospital, and while the gruesome photos shared by some publications suggest that the unidentified crew member sustained very serious injuries, her condition has not yet been confirmed.
Our thoughts go out to the victim and her family. We’ll update this story if we hear back from the airline.
Featured image by BriYYZ via Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.