This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Kenny Bachman opted to take an Uber home after a night of drinking with friends last Friday in West Virginia. Instead of returning to his friends’ place in Morgantown, West Virginia, the 21-year-old accidentally put his address in Gloucester County, New Jersey— a 300-mile journey that cost him a hefty $1,635.93.
After Bachman got into the Uber, he passed out in the passenger seat, and two hours into the ride, he woke up to the driver telling him they were on their way to New Jersey. Instead of getting out and being stranded, Bachman decided to continue on his almost five-hour journey back home.
To top it off, Bachman’s trip was double the cost because he mistakenly requested an UberXL, which is pricer than the standard UberX. Without the additional UberXL surge charge, Bachman would have paid just $819.14 ($3.94 base fare, a $2.35 booking fee, $696.95 charge for distance and $115.90 for time.)
“Afterwards I had it fully sink in,” Bachman told NJ.com. “Alright, this is insane, that’s just crazy,” he said when he saw the price after the ride ended.
Bachman reportedly protested the charge to Uber, claiming he never put his home address in New Jersey into the app. In the end, however, he did agree to pay for the costly ride and even gave his driver five stars and money for tolls.
Featured Image by @Vruln via Twenty20
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees