Drunk Man Pays $1,635 for Accidental Uber Ride
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Kenny Bachman opted to take an Uber home after a night of drinking with friends last Friday in West Virginia. Instead of returning to his friends’ place in Morgantown, West Virginia, the 21-year-old accidentally put his address in Gloucester County, New Jersey— a 300-mile journey that cost him a hefty $1,635.93.
After Bachman got into the Uber, he passed out in the passenger seat, and two hours into the ride, he woke up to the driver telling him they were on their way to New Jersey. Instead of getting out and being stranded, Bachman decided to continue on his almost five-hour journey back home.
To top it off, Bachman’s trip was double the cost because he mistakenly requested an UberXL, which is pricer than the standard UberX. Without the additional UberXL surge charge, Bachman would have paid just $819.14 ($3.94 base fare, a $2.35 booking fee, $696.95 charge for distance and $115.90 for time.)
“Afterwards I had it fully sink in,” Bachman told NJ.com. “Alright, this is insane, that’s just crazy,” he said when he saw the price after the ride ended.
Bachman reportedly protested the charge to Uber, claiming he never put his home address in New Jersey into the app. In the end, however, he did agree to pay for the costly ride and even gave his driver five stars and money for tolls.
Featured Image by @Vruln via Twenty20
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees