Drunk Man Pays $1,635 for Accidental Uber Ride
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Kenny Bachman opted to take an Uber home after a night of drinking with friends last Friday in West Virginia. Instead of returning to his friends’ place in Morgantown, West Virginia, the 21-year-old accidentally put his address in Gloucester County, New Jersey— a 300-mile journey that cost him a hefty $1,635.93.
After Bachman got into the Uber, he passed out in the passenger seat, and two hours into the ride, he woke up to the driver telling him they were on their way to New Jersey. Instead of getting out and being stranded, Bachman decided to continue on his almost five-hour journey back home.
To top it off, Bachman’s trip was double the cost because he mistakenly requested an UberXL, which is pricer than the standard UberX. Without the additional UberXL surge charge, Bachman would have paid just $819.14 ($3.94 base fare, a $2.35 booking fee, $696.95 charge for distance and $115.90 for time.)
“Afterwards I had it fully sink in,” Bachman told NJ.com. “Alright, this is insane, that’s just crazy,” he said when he saw the price after the ride ended.
Bachman reportedly protested the charge to Uber, claiming he never put his home address in New Jersey into the app. In the end, however, he did agree to pay for the costly ride and even gave his driver five stars and money for tolls.
Featured Image by @Vruln via Twenty20
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.