Economically Devastating Insects Intercepted at DC Airports
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the world’s most destructive insects was found in two Washington DC-area airports this year by the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP).
The Khapra beetle was found at both Baltimore (BWI) and Washington Dulles (IAD) international airports in 2018, according to a release from CBP.
“[The] Khapra beetle, is one of the world’s most destructive insect pests of stored grains, cereals and seeds, and it presents potentially crippling economic consequences to grain and cereal exporters such as the United States,” CBP said in the release. “Due to those consequences, Khapra beetle remains the only insect in which U.S. Customs and Border Protection takes regulatory action, even when the insect is in a dead state.”
Four live adult beetles, 12 live larvae, and several dead larvae and cast skins were found in a bag of basmati rice brought in from Saudi Arabia at Washington Dulles (IAD) on January 24.
At BWI, two live adult beetles were found, one dead immature larva, and several cast skins in a bag of cow peas brought from Nigeria on February 23.
“Khapra beetle is one of the most invasive and destructive insects that Customs and Border Protection may encounter, and it poses a significant threat to our nation’s agriculture industries and to our export economy,” said Dianna Bowman, CBP Area Port Director for Baltimore.
Featured image by the US Customs and Border Protection.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.