These Destinations Need Your Tourist Dollars the Most
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The report, released on Thursday, calculates the economic and employment impact of travel and tourism for 185 countries and showed that in 2017, tourism accounted for 10.4% of global GDP and 313 million jobs worldwide, which is about 9.9% of total global employment.
The Maldives is the destination that is most reliant on tourist dollars. Travel and tourism represents 39% of its total GDP. Tourism directly supported 34,500 jobs (16.0% of total employment) in the Maldives last year.
Following the Maldives is British Virgin Islands, where tourism accounts for 35.4% of GDP. As far as European countries, the most reliant on tourism are Malta (it accounts for 14.2% of GDP), followed by Montenegro (11% GDP), Croatia (10.9% GDP) and Georgia (9.3% GDP).
Here are the top 10 countries with the most tourism-dependent economies:
2. British Virgin Islands
10. Cape Verde
The travel and tourism industry grew 50% faster than the overall global economy in 2017, which was a record year for the tourism sector. The industry created 7 million new jobs last year, with 1 in 5 of all new jobs across the world attributed to travel and tourism.
By 2028, the industry will support more than 400 million jobs globally, which is about 1 in 9 of all jobs in the world.
Featured Image by Matteo Colombo via Getty Images.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees