These Destinations Need Your Tourist Dollars the Most
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The report, released on Thursday, calculates the economic and employment impact of travel and tourism for 185 countries and showed that in 2017, tourism accounted for 10.4% of global GDP and 313 million jobs worldwide, which is about 9.9% of total global employment.
The Maldives is the destination that is most reliant on tourist dollars. Travel and tourism represents 39% of its total GDP. Tourism directly supported 34,500 jobs (16.0% of total employment) in the Maldives last year.
Following the Maldives is British Virgin Islands, where tourism accounts for 35.4% of GDP. As far as European countries, the most reliant on tourism are Malta (it accounts for 14.2% of GDP), followed by Montenegro (11% GDP), Croatia (10.9% GDP) and Georgia (9.3% GDP).
Here are the top 10 countries with the most tourism-dependent economies:
2. British Virgin Islands
10. Cape Verde
The travel and tourism industry grew 50% faster than the overall global economy in 2017, which was a record year for the tourism sector. The industry created 7 million new jobs last year, with 1 in 5 of all new jobs across the world attributed to travel and tourism.
By 2028, the industry will support more than 400 million jobs globally, which is about 1 in 9 of all jobs in the world.
Featured Image by Matteo Colombo via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees