These Destinations Need Your Tourist Dollars the Most
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The report, released on Thursday, calculates the economic and employment impact of travel and tourism for 185 countries and showed that in 2017, tourism accounted for 10.4% of global GDP and 313 million jobs worldwide, which is about 9.9% of total global employment.
The Maldives is the destination that is most reliant on tourist dollars. Travel and tourism represents 39% of its total GDP. Tourism directly supported 34,500 jobs (16.0% of total employment) in the Maldives last year.
Following the Maldives is British Virgin Islands, where tourism accounts for 35.4% of GDP. As far as European countries, the most reliant on tourism are Malta (it accounts for 14.2% of GDP), followed by Montenegro (11% GDP), Croatia (10.9% GDP) and Georgia (9.3% GDP).
Here are the top 10 countries with the most tourism-dependent economies:
2. British Virgin Islands
10. Cape Verde
The travel and tourism industry grew 50% faster than the overall global economy in 2017, which was a record year for the tourism sector. The industry created 7 million new jobs last year, with 1 in 5 of all new jobs across the world attributed to travel and tourism.
By 2028, the industry will support more than 400 million jobs globally, which is about 1 in 9 of all jobs in the world.
Featured Image by Matteo Colombo via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.