This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency, such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares might disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Beginning April 22, the all-business-class French carrier La Compagnie will begin operating out of Paris Orly Airport (ORY) instead of Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG). To celebrate the move, the airline is offering discounted business-class travel, with tickets starting at just $1,399 roundtrip between Newark (EWR) and Paris — you’ll often pay these kinds of prices for regular old economy tickets in peak season. TPG has reviewed La Compagnie in the past and enjoyed the product overall.
If you want to head further south in Europe, both American and United are also offering some pretty attractive fares from the Washington, DC, area to Greece. They’re not quite as low as La Compagnie’s — they’ll run you at least $2,105 round-trip — but they’re still a great price, especially considering this deal is valid for departures during the peak summer travel season. Simply search for dates that work for you with Google Flights and then complete booking with the airlines themselves.
Airline: La Compagnie, American, United
Route: EWR/IAD/DCA to ORY/ATH
Cost: $1,399+ round-trip in business class
Dates: April – November 2018
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of dates you can book:
Newark (EWR) to Paris (ORY) for $1,399 round-trip in business class on La Compagnie:
Washington, DC (DCA) to Athens (ATH) for $2,105 round-trip in business class on American:
Washington, DC (IAD) to Athens (ATH) for $2,123 round-trip in business class on United:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express Premier Rewards Gold or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
If you’re able to score one of these tickets, please share the good news in the comments below!
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards