Deal Alert: US to Southeast Asia From $514 Round-Trip
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Expedia, Orbitz or Priceline, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of the airline’s 24 hour cancellation policy if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Flights to Southeast Asia are on sale, with prices starting from just $515 round-trip from Chicago (ORD), Houston (IAH), Los Angeles (LAX), Newark (EWR), San Francisco (SFO) and Washington DC (IAD) to Bangkok (BKK) and Kuala Lumpur (KUL). These flights are operated by United and Japanese airline ANA, and you’ll get a free checked bag and meals on all itineraries with either one.
You don’t need any tricks to get these prices — just use Google Flights to set the dates you want, then book on Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline or directly with the airline itself. Both of these cities are great destinations in and of themselves, but they also offer tons of budget flights to other popular spots in the area like Vietnam and the Thai Islands.
Airline: ANA, United
Routes: ORD/SFO/IAH/IAD/EWR/LAX to BKK/KUL
Cost: $515+ round-trip in economy
Dates: April-June, August-October, January-February 2019
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) for $515 round-trip:
San Francisco (SFO) to Bangkok (BKK) for $515 round-trip:
Newark (EWR) to Kuala Lumpur (KUL) for $537 round-trip:
Chicago (ORD) to Bangkok (BKK) for $625 round-trip:
Houston (IAH) to Bangkok (BKK) for $635 round-trip:
Washington DC (IAD) to Bangkok (BKK) for $635 round-trip:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: Thrifty Traveler
Featured image by Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees