This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Cathay Pacific has unveiled the livery on its newest aircraft, the A350-1000. After Qatar took delivery of the first commercial A350-1000 two weeks ago, Cathay will become the second airline to own Airbus’ long-haul aircraft when its handed over to the Hong Kong-based carrier in April.
Cathay has ordered 20 A350-1000s and is expected to take delivery of them through 2018 and beyond. It currently flies 22 A350-900s, the smaller version of the aircraft and has six more on order.
The -1000 rolled out of Toulouse, France with Cathay’s classic colors. The pictures from Airbus might seem a bit odd — that’s because the aircraft is currently without engines. The -1000 will receive the Rolls-Royce Trent XWB engines, which were specifically designed for the A350.
Cathay announced the inaugural long-haul flight for the -1000 will be from Hong Kong (HKG) to Washington Dulles (IAD) — coming in at 8,153 miles, it will be the carrier’s longest flight.
Cathay configured the -1000 to seat 46 passengers in business in a 1-2-1 configuration, 32 premium economy seats in a 2-4-2 configuration and 256 in economy in a 3-3-3 layout. The aircraft will seat a total of 334 passengers, a 54-person jump from the 280 that the -900 can seat.
If the -1000 is anything like the -900, then flyers will surely enjoy their experience, especially if they’re sitting in business. TPG‘s Zach Honig recently flew on the -900 from Newark (EWR) to Hong Kong (HKG), calling it “one of the best ways to get to Asia in business class.”
Featured image by Airbus.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards