TPG Adventures: Teeter Along a Canopy Walk 165 Feet Above the Nyungwe Jungle
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How would you like to walk across a suspension bridge 165 feet high above the lush, green jungles of Nyungwe National Park? Those fearless enough can do so via the Canopy Walk, a special bridge about 300 feet in length. That may not seem far, but 300 feet is long distance to walk at such a dizzying height. The bridge will sway and move as you walk, so hang on tight and don’t look down!
Instead, keep your eyes peeled for 13 different kinds of primates, including golden and red-tailed monkeys. It won’t be difficult to spot a group of colobus monkeys — they typically move in packs of 300 or more. Besides being on high monkey alert, you should also be ready to spot 300 different bird species, 120 butterfly species and 35 different reptile species.
Spanning almost 400 square miles, Nyungwe offers plenty to do after you’ve conquered the Canopy Walk. The park has 13 different hiking trails, some of which are specific for chimpanzee trekking. You’ll spot waterfalls, tree ferns, orchids and many of the aforementioned animals. In the distance, you’ll spot lakes, mountains and volcanoes from many of the hikes’ higher points.
Although Nyungwe was established as a national park in 2004, it’s believed to be one of Africa’s largest and oldest rainforests, maintaining it’s greenery through the Ice Age.
Where to Stay
There are campsites in the park and lodges and hotels nearby, like the Nyungwe Top View Hill Hotel, which, as its name suggests, has spectacular views of the forest, the low-cost Gisakura Guest House and the stunning Nyungwe House. You can combine a visit to the Canopy Walk at Nyungwe with a safari or gorilla trekking, both of which you can do in the country of Rwanda.
The park is located in the southwest region of Rwanda. You can either drive about five hours from Kigali to the park, or fly on RwandAir from Kigali (KGL) to Kamembe (KME). If you end up flying, don’t forget to sign up for RwandAir’s Dream Miles loyalty program.
Featured photo of the walkway canopy tour in Nyungwe National Park. (Photo by Shutterstock.com)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.