TPG Adventures: Teeter Along a Canopy Walk 165 Feet Above the Nyungwe Jungle
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How would you like to walk across a suspension bridge 165 feet high above the lush, green jungles of Nyungwe National Park? Those fearless enough can do so via the Canopy Walk, a special bridge about 300 feet in length. That may not seem far, but 300 feet is long distance to walk at such a dizzying height. The bridge will sway and move as you walk, so hang on tight and don’t look down!
Instead, keep your eyes peeled for 13 different kinds of primates, including golden and red-tailed monkeys. It won’t be difficult to spot a group of colobus monkeys — they typically move in packs of 300 or more. Besides being on high monkey alert, you should also be ready to spot 300 different bird species, 120 butterfly species and 35 different reptile species.
Spanning almost 400 square miles, Nyungwe offers plenty to do after you’ve conquered the Canopy Walk. The park has 13 different hiking trails, some of which are specific for chimpanzee trekking. You’ll spot waterfalls, tree ferns, orchids and many of the aforementioned animals. In the distance, you’ll spot lakes, mountains and volcanoes from many of the hikes’ higher points.
Although Nyungwe was established as a national park in 2004, it’s believed to be one of Africa’s largest and oldest rainforests, maintaining it’s greenery through the Ice Age.
Where to Stay
There are campsites in the park and lodges and hotels nearby, like the Nyungwe Top View Hill Hotel, which, as its name suggests, has spectacular views of the forest, the low-cost Gisakura Guest House and the stunning Nyungwe House. You can combine a visit to the Canopy Walk at Nyungwe with a safari or gorilla trekking, both of which you can do in the country of Rwanda.
The park is located in the southwest region of Rwanda. You can either drive about five hours from Kigali to the park, or fly on RwandAir from Kigali (KGL) to Kamembe (KME). If you end up flying, don’t forget to sign up for RwandAir’s Dream Miles loyalty program.
Featured photo of the walkway canopy tour in Nyungwe National Park. (Photo by Shutterstock.com)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees