This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week we released our annual rankings of the best and worst US airlines for 2018. As with all of our TPG reports, we based our criteria and results entirely on objective data, using numbers gleamed from sources ranging from the Department of Transportation to financial reports to airline websites. Here’s what our own results looked like for 2018:
For the second year in a row, Alaska Airlines took the top spot — and for the second year in a row, no one really complained. However, unlike last year when United came in at #2, this year Southwest and Delta jumped ahead to snag the second and third spots respectively, a result that generated a great deal less controversy than United did coming in second in our last study.
If there was any portion of the list that readers took issue with, it was the airlines down toward the bottom, as JetBlue at #9 and Hawaiian at #9 rubbed some people the wrong way. Both airlines were hampered by the smaller size of their respective route networks, but also suffered by scoring low in additional criteria as well — Hawaiian in airfare, JetBlue in on-time arrivals, as well as other areas.
As always, readers who don’t like the weightings of our criteria can adjust the numbers to their own liking using the interactive tool in our story. So if cost doesn’t matter as much to you, you could reduce that from the default of 25% of the score to 15% and see which airlines take top honors in that scenario.
But perhaps you’re not interested in the hard numbers and just have a favorite airline of your own. If that’s the case, we’d like to hear which one it is. Visit our Facebook page (or use the embedded poll below) to choose what you personally think is the best US airline.
You only get one vote, so choose wisely, and we’ll publish the full results in a forthcoming post.
Featured photo by Chris Sattlberger/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*