This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak is bringing back its Double Days promotion where riders can earn bonus points on train tickets and more.
Amtrak Guest Rewards members usually receive two points per dollar on Amtrak purchases, but with Double Days, members will be able to earn 4x points on Amtrak purchases and 6x points through Amtrak’s partners.
Here’s how the promotion works: Riders will first need to register for Double Days here. Once registered, travelers will have to purchase a train ticket for travel from March 19 through May 19. There’s no limit to how many bonus points you can earn with the promotion other than being limited to four qualifying one-way segments per day.
Amtrak points are quite valuable, with TPG giving them a valuation of 2.5 cents per point, second only to SPG Starpoints. Although they can be transferred to a few different hotel programs, Amtrak points are best used when redeeming for train travel, where you can usually find great value.
You’ll also be able to earn 6x points on purchases with Amtrak’s partners like Enterprise, 1-800 Flowers and more when booking through them during the Double Days promotion. Amtrak Guest Rewards elite members should be able to stack this promotion on top of the bonus points they receive for elite status.
If you decide to hop on the promotion, make sure you pay for the tickets with a travel rewards card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which is the best card for general travel purchases. The Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard is also a solid option if you’re frequent Amtrak traveler.
In June 2017, ex-Delta CEO Richard Anderson joined Amtrak to lead the company. Amtrak announced in December that it would be refreshing its seats and renovating more than 450 train cars over the next nine months.
Featured image courtesy of Amtrak.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards