This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak is bringing back its Double Days promotion where riders can earn bonus points on train tickets and more.
Amtrak Guest Rewards members usually receive two points per dollar on Amtrak purchases, but with Double Days, members will be able to earn 4x points on Amtrak purchases and 6x points through Amtrak’s partners.
Here’s how the promotion works: Riders will first need to register for Double Days here. Once registered, travelers will have to purchase a train ticket for travel from March 19 through May 19. There’s no limit to how many bonus points you can earn with the promotion other than being limited to four qualifying one-way segments per day.
Amtrak points are quite valuable, with TPG giving them a valuation of 2.5 cents per point, second only to SPG Starpoints. Although they can be transferred to a few different hotel programs, Amtrak points are best used when redeeming for train travel, where you can usually find great value.
You’ll also be able to earn 6x points on purchases with Amtrak’s partners like Enterprise, 1-800 Flowers and more when booking through them during the Double Days promotion. Amtrak Guest Rewards elite members should be able to stack this promotion on top of the bonus points they receive for elite status.
If you decide to hop on the promotion, make sure you pay for the tickets with a travel rewards card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which is the best card for general travel purchases. The Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard is also a solid option if you’re frequent Amtrak traveler.
In June 2017, ex-Delta CEO Richard Anderson joined Amtrak to lead the company. Amtrak announced in December that it would be refreshing its seats and renovating more than 450 train cars over the next nine months.
Featured image courtesy of Amtrak.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees