Amtrak Offering Double Points on Purchases with Double Days Promotion
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Amtrak is bringing back its Double Days promotion where riders can earn bonus points on train tickets and more.
Amtrak Guest Rewards members usually receive two points per dollar on Amtrak purchases, but with Double Days, members will be able to earn 4x points on Amtrak purchases and 6x points through Amtrak’s partners.
Here’s how the promotion works: Riders will first need to register for Double Days here. Once registered, travelers will have to purchase a train ticket for travel from March 19 through May 19. There’s no limit to how many bonus points you can earn with the promotion other than being limited to four qualifying one-way segments per day.
Amtrak points are quite valuable, with TPG giving them a valuation of 2.5 cents per point, second only to SPG Starpoints. Although they can be transferred to a few different hotel programs, Amtrak points are best used when redeeming for train travel, where you can usually find great value.
You’ll also be able to earn 6x points on purchases with Amtrak’s partners like Enterprise, 1-800 Flowers and more when booking through them during the Double Days promotion. Amtrak Guest Rewards elite members should be able to stack this promotion on top of the bonus points they receive for elite status.
If you decide to hop on the promotion, make sure you pay for the tickets with a travel rewards card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which is the best card for general travel purchases. The Amtrak Guest Rewards World Mastercard is also a solid option if you’re frequent Amtrak traveler.
In June 2017, ex-Delta CEO Richard Anderson joined Amtrak to lead the company. Amtrak announced in December that it would be refreshing its seats and renovating more than 450 train cars over the next nine months.
Featured image courtesy of Amtrak.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.