American Airlines Mistakenly Tweets Free Seats for Everyone
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A tweet from American Airlines on Tuesday morning sent its nearly two million Twitter followers into a frenzy when the airline (accidentally) offered free seats to passengers. The tweet, which was deleted an hour after it was posted, read, “You never have to pay for a seat. Our team will help you with free seats if you arrive at the airport without.” While some customers might have been throwing clothes in a bag and hauling it to the nearest airport, others on Twitter seemed skeptical of the more-than-generous offer from American. One follower tweeted his apprehension: “Job available: Twitter manager for a national airline. (Our previous manager fired for tweeting drunken nonsense).”
While the tweet had many reactions, the airline clarified that it was simply a response to one of its followers who had a question about seat assignments. The reply “inadvertently left off the Twitter handle of the person who had asked the original question,” a representative for American told Travel + Leisure.
“However, the tweet is true,” the representative added. “Customers are not required to purchase an advanced seat assignment,” in reference to main cabin fares. “Customers may select a free seat, or pay for a preferred or main cabin extra seat. If a free seat is not available, a seat will either be automatically provided at check-in or at the airport.”
It should be noted that American Airlines does offer free seat assignments for passengers who make reservations with select fares; passengers who book in the basic economy cabin must pay extra for seat assignments, however. Basic economy passengers are assigned a seat when they check-in.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees