This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus, the producer of the world’s largest passenger aircraft, is entering a new arena: The company recently rolled out its on-demand helicopter booking platform, Voom, in Mexico City. Its goal is to alleviate traffic jams for commuters who spend hours sitting in traffic each year — the average commuter in Mexico City spent about 58 hours in traffic in 2017, according to estimations by Inrix.
Voom allows users to book chopper rides up to seven days in advance and up to one hour ahead of departure. Airbus plans to extend the service to other places and is currently analyzing cities in Asia.
Overall, orders for helicopters have been falling since 2014. Airbus said that orders for its helicopter fell 5% from 2016, but the demand for passenger aircraft continues to soar, according to CNBC.
Airbus is also in the process of developing self-flying, electric aircraft called Vahana that will be equipped for vertical-take off and landing, or VTOL. Last month, Vahana took its first test flight. For now, Airbus will contract outside helicopter operators to fly Voom rides.
Featured image by Pascal Pavani/AFP via Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
LIMITED TIME OFFER: 70,000 Miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $980
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2x miles on AA purchases plus 2x miles at gas stations and at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers and car rental merchants. Get your first checked bag free.
- Designed for businesses
- For a limited time: Earn 70,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $4,000 in purchases in first 4 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line*
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations*
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*