Airbus Launches On-Demand Helicopter Service in Mexico City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus, the producer of the world’s largest passenger aircraft, is entering a new arena: The company recently rolled out its on-demand helicopter booking platform, Voom, in Mexico City. Its goal is to alleviate traffic jams for commuters who spend hours sitting in traffic each year — the average commuter in Mexico City spent about 58 hours in traffic in 2017, according to estimations by Inrix.
Voom originally launched in Sao Paulo and is extending its service to Mexico City, where the infrastructure supports some 200 helipads and has a dedicated air traffic control system in place.
Voom allows users to book chopper rides up to seven days in advance and up to one hour ahead of departure. Airbus plans to extend the service to other places and is currently analyzing cities in Asia.
Overall, orders for helicopters have been falling since 2014. Airbus said that orders for its helicopter fell 5% from 2016, but the demand for passenger aircraft continues to soar, according to CNBC.
Airbus is also in the process of developing self-flying, electric aircraft called Vahana that will be equipped for vertical-take off and landing, or VTOL. Last month, Vahana took its first test flight. For now, Airbus will contract outside helicopter operators to fly Voom rides.
Featured image by Pascal Pavani/AFP via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.