This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus, the producer of the world’s largest passenger aircraft, is entering a new arena: The company recently rolled out its on-demand helicopter booking platform, Voom, in Mexico City. Its goal is to alleviate traffic jams for commuters who spend hours sitting in traffic each year — the average commuter in Mexico City spent about 58 hours in traffic in 2017, according to estimations by Inrix.
Voom allows users to book chopper rides up to seven days in advance and up to one hour ahead of departure. Airbus plans to extend the service to other places and is currently analyzing cities in Asia.
Overall, orders for helicopters have been falling since 2014. Airbus said that orders for its helicopter fell 5% from 2016, but the demand for passenger aircraft continues to soar, according to CNBC.
Airbus is also in the process of developing self-flying, electric aircraft called Vahana that will be equipped for vertical-take off and landing, or VTOL. Last month, Vahana took its first test flight. For now, Airbus will contract outside helicopter operators to fly Voom rides.
Featured image by Pascal Pavani/AFP via Getty Images
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees