Airbus Launches On-Demand Helicopter Service in Mexico City
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airbus, the producer of the world’s largest passenger aircraft, is entering a new arena: The company recently rolled out its on-demand helicopter booking platform, Voom, in Mexico City. Its goal is to alleviate traffic jams for commuters who spend hours sitting in traffic each year — the average commuter in Mexico City spent about 58 hours in traffic in 2017, according to estimations by Inrix.
Voom originally launched in Sao Paulo and is extending its service to Mexico City, where the infrastructure supports some 200 helipads and has a dedicated air traffic control system in place.
Voom allows users to book chopper rides up to seven days in advance and up to one hour ahead of departure. Airbus plans to extend the service to other places and is currently analyzing cities in Asia.
Overall, orders for helicopters have been falling since 2014. Airbus said that orders for its helicopter fell 5% from 2016, but the demand for passenger aircraft continues to soar, according to CNBC.
Airbus is also in the process of developing self-flying, electric aircraft called Vahana that will be equipped for vertical-take off and landing, or VTOL. Last month, Vahana took its first test flight. For now, Airbus will contract outside helicopter operators to fly Voom rides.
Featured image by Pascal Pavani/AFP via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees