This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta just elevated the bonus on two of its cards, and now it’s American’s turn to entice new cardholders with a higher-than-usual offer.
Instead of the usual 30,000 AAdvantage miles after spending $1,000 in the first three months, the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard is now offering new applicants 50,000 miles after spending $2,500 in the first three months.
Based on our valuations, 50,000 AAdvantage miles are worth $700, and the extra 20,000 miles you’ll get compared to the standard offer represent an extra $280 in value. With 50,000 miles, you could book awards such as a round-trip domestic flight in business class, round-trip to Hawaii in economy and one-way to the Caribbean in first.
Like most airline co-branded cards, the Citi AAdvantage Platinum offers 2x miles on purchases with the carrier (American Airlines) and 1 mile per dollar on everything else. It has a $95 annual fee that’s waived the first year, and it doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees.
If you were already planning on signing up for this card but haven’t acted yet, the higher bonus makes now the perfect time to apply. If you’re on the fence, keep in mind that the card does offer some nice-to-have perks for travel on American Airlines, such as a free checked bag for you and up to four companions on the same reservation, preferred boarding and 25% off in-flight purchases.
We don’t know when this elevated bonus will end, so act sooner than later if you’re interested. And feel free to let us know how you’d use those 50,000 miles in the comments below.
Featured photo by Eric Helgas for The Points Guy
If you're a frequent American flyer but don't have status, additional perks that come with this card like first free checked bag on domestic AA itineraries, preferred boarding on American flights and 10% of your redeemed AA miles back (up to 10,000 miles each year) can be extremely valuable.
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases*
- Receive 25% savings on in-flight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*
- Double AAdvantage® miles on eligible American Airlines purchases*