These Are the Worst US Airports for Canceled Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last December’s power outage at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International (ATL) won the airport the dubious honor of having the highest number of canceled departing flights in 2017 across all US airports.
Atlanta, which experienced 5,419 cancellations, beat out Chicago’s O’Hare International (ORD) with 3,719 cancellations, with Houston‘s George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) in third place with 3,529 canceled flights. San Francisco International (SFO) and New York’s La Guardia Airport (LGA) rounded out the “Top 5 Worst Airports” list, with 3,299 and 3,018 cancellations, respectively.
2017 was the first time in five years that Atlanta had more canceled flights than Chicago O’Hare, according to InsureMyTrip.com.
But Atlanta, which has been the nation’s busiest airport for the past two decades, ranked quite average in terms of the percentage of canceled flights relative to successful departures, despite having the largest number of cancellations.
Only 1.5% of scheduled domestic flights were canceled in 2017, according to the Department of Transportation (DOT), which closely tracks airline performance rates. Unfortunately, delays are far more common than cancellations: The same DOT data showed that more than 17% of flights out of Atlanta ran behind schedule, just under the 2017 nationwide average of 18%.
At LaGuardia, more than 20% of departing flights were delayed in 2017.
By percentage of canceled flights, the rankings change yet again. Condé Nast Traveler compiled a list of 20 airports with the biggest percentage of flight cancellations in 2017:
- LaGuardia Airport, 3.23
- George Bush Intercontinental, 2.73
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International, 2.70
- Newark Liberty International, 2.57
- John F. Kennedy International, 2.20
- Boston’s Logan International, 2.12
- Ronald Reagan Washington National, 2.00
- Orlando International, 1.97
- San Francisco International, 1.89
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall, 1.71
- Philadelphia International, 1.64
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, 1.49
- Chicago Midway International, 1.42
- Chicago O’Hare International, 1.40
- San Diego International, 1.19
- Charlotte Douglas International, 1.12
- Dallas/Fort Worth International, 1.03
- Los Angeles International, 0.98
- Detroit Metro Wayne County, 0.94
- McCarran International, 0.90
Featured photo by Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees