Watch the Best (and Worst) Travel Super Bowl Commercials
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At the Super Bowl, travel was super, too. Between all the ads for the Holy Trinity (Trucks, Beer, and Soda), airlines and destinations made a showing with some clever ads that cost a cool $5 million for each 30-second spot.
As Brian Braiker, Editor-in-Chief of Ad Age, told TPG: “The Super Bowl is the last place where a single audience this size congregates all at one time. There is nowhere else where an audience of this magnitude — 100 million people — are looking at the same screen at the same time. It’s an opportunity that has literally no parallel for brands.”
Travel brands want to lure consumers just as much as anyone else — here are all the commercials that touched on getting up and out during the big game. Any favorites?
Every Mom’s favorite doctor — Dr. Oz, of course — took center stage in this first-quarter ad for Turkish Airlines highlighting the five senses. As the good doctor tells us mid-flight, “Your eyes can see 10 million shades of color,” and “Our tongues can differentiate 10,000 tastes,” as beautiful people dive with whales and travel across the desert. The final tagline? “Widen Our World.”
Avocados From Mexico
The ingredient for the ultimate game-day dip came in with a spot that imagined people living in a beautiful utopia called GuacWorld — until they realize the chips are on the outside of their dome. Avocados From Mexico has been running Super Bowl ads since 2015 and if this doesn’t make you wanna go to Mexico, it might at least make you reach for a snack.
“The son of an Australian legend returns home … the trip of a lifetime …” Crocodile Dundee is getting a reboot! Just kidding. Chris Hemsworth and Danny McBride pulled the Australian wool over everyone’s eyes with a two-week build-up to this fake movie trailer — which was actually quite an effective ad for Tourism Australia, highlighting the continent’s 37,000 miles of pristine beach and world-class restaurants. Hat tip to the memorable line, “There’s nothing like Australia.”
Alright, a sneaker ad doesn’t scream “travel,” but this commercial for wide-fit sneakers starring Howie Long takes place up in the air and claims wearing the shoes are “like first class for your feet.” Of course, after being cramped and uncomfortable in his middle seat, Howie hears the phrase that is magical to every TPG reader: “You’ve been upgraded.”
“What kind of person wouldn’t want to support local business?” asks Tiffany Haddish, whose hilarious story about taking Will and Jada Pinkett Smith on a Groupon swamp tour in New Orleans went viral in 2017. (Did you know they sell travel getaways?) Now the comedienne and Groupon “Super User” is their new spokesperson; in this spot, two football players visit a tycoon in a gilded mansion who’s apparently an enemy to local business owners. Cheap shot ending: A football nails him in his groin.
Familiar face Peyton Manning is the “vacation quarterback” in this spot for the Orlando destination, as the former Denver Broncos quarterback tours a family around the theme park, rides a rollercoaster and talks about Quidditch. Apparently for him, “the off-season is over.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees