This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At the Super Bowl, travel was super, too. Between all the ads for the Holy Trinity (Trucks, Beer, and Soda), airlines and destinations made a showing with some clever ads that cost a cool $5 million for each 30-second spot.
As Brian Braiker, Editor-in-Chief of Ad Age, told TPG: “The Super Bowl is the last place where a single audience this size congregates all at one time. There is nowhere else where an audience of this magnitude — 100 million people — are looking at the same screen at the same time. It’s an opportunity that has literally no parallel for brands.”
Travel brands want to lure consumers just as much as anyone else — here are all the commercials that touched on getting up and out during the big game. Any favorites?
Every Mom’s favorite doctor — Dr. Oz, of course — took center stage in this first-quarter ad for Turkish Airlines highlighting the five senses. As the good doctor tells us mid-flight, “Your eyes can see 10 million shades of color,” and “Our tongues can differentiate 10,000 tastes,” as beautiful people dive with whales and travel across the desert. The final tagline? “Widen Our World.”
Avocados From Mexico
The ingredient for the ultimate game-day dip came in with a spot that imagined people living in a beautiful utopia called GuacWorld — until they realize the chips are on the outside of their dome. Avocados From Mexico has been running Super Bowl ads since 2015 and if this doesn’t make you wanna go to Mexico, it might at least make you reach for a snack.
“The son of an Australian legend returns home … the trip of a lifetime …” Crocodile Dundee is getting a reboot! Just kidding. Chris Hemsworth and Danny McBride pulled the Australian wool over everyone’s eyes with a two-week build-up to this fake movie trailer — which was actually quite an effective ad for Tourism Australia, highlighting the continent’s 37,000 miles of pristine beach and world-class restaurants. Hat tip to the memorable line, “There’s nothing like Australia.”
Alright, a sneaker ad doesn’t scream “travel,” but this commercial for wide-fit sneakers starring Howie Long takes place up in the air and claims wearing the shoes are “like first class for your feet.” Of course, after being cramped and uncomfortable in his middle seat, Howie hears the phrase that is magical to every TPG reader: “You’ve been upgraded.”
“What kind of person wouldn’t want to support local business?” asks Tiffany Haddish, whose hilarious story about taking Will and Jada Pinkett Smith on a Groupon swamp tour in New Orleans went viral in 2017. (Did you know they sell travel getaways?) Now the comedienne and Groupon “Super User” is their new spokesperson; in this spot, two football players visit a tycoon in a gilded mansion who’s apparently an enemy to local business owners. Cheap shot ending: A football nails him in his groin.
Familiar face Peyton Manning is the “vacation quarterback” in this spot for the Orlando destination, as the former Denver Broncos quarterback tours a family around the theme park, rides a rollercoaster and talks about Quidditch. Apparently for him, “the off-season is over.”
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees