Watch the Best (and Worst) Travel Super Bowl Commercials
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
At the Super Bowl, travel was super, too. Between all the ads for the Holy Trinity (Trucks, Beer, and Soda), airlines and destinations made a showing with some clever ads that cost a cool $5 million for each 30-second spot.
As Brian Braiker, Editor-in-Chief of Ad Age, told TPG: “The Super Bowl is the last place where a single audience this size congregates all at one time. There is nowhere else where an audience of this magnitude — 100 million people — are looking at the same screen at the same time. It’s an opportunity that has literally no parallel for brands.”
Travel brands want to lure consumers just as much as anyone else — here are all the commercials that touched on getting up and out during the big game. Any favorites?
Every Mom’s favorite doctor — Dr. Oz, of course — took center stage in this first-quarter ad for Turkish Airlines highlighting the five senses. As the good doctor tells us mid-flight, “Your eyes can see 10 million shades of color,” and “Our tongues can differentiate 10,000 tastes,” as beautiful people dive with whales and travel across the desert. The final tagline? “Widen Our World.”
Avocados From Mexico
The ingredient for the ultimate game-day dip came in with a spot that imagined people living in a beautiful utopia called GuacWorld — until they realize the chips are on the outside of their dome. Avocados From Mexico has been running Super Bowl ads since 2015 and if this doesn’t make you wanna go to Mexico, it might at least make you reach for a snack.
“The son of an Australian legend returns home … the trip of a lifetime …” Crocodile Dundee is getting a reboot! Just kidding. Chris Hemsworth and Danny McBride pulled the Australian wool over everyone’s eyes with a two-week build-up to this fake movie trailer — which was actually quite an effective ad for Tourism Australia, highlighting the continent’s 37,000 miles of pristine beach and world-class restaurants. Hat tip to the memorable line, “There’s nothing like Australia.”
Alright, a sneaker ad doesn’t scream “travel,” but this commercial for wide-fit sneakers starring Howie Long takes place up in the air and claims wearing the shoes are “like first class for your feet.” Of course, after being cramped and uncomfortable in his middle seat, Howie hears the phrase that is magical to every TPG reader: “You’ve been upgraded.”
“What kind of person wouldn’t want to support local business?” asks Tiffany Haddish, whose hilarious story about taking Will and Jada Pinkett Smith on a Groupon swamp tour in New Orleans went viral in 2017. (Did you know they sell travel getaways?) Now the comedienne and Groupon “Super User” is their new spokesperson; in this spot, two football players visit a tycoon in a gilded mansion who’s apparently an enemy to local business owners. Cheap shot ending: A football nails him in his groin.
Familiar face Peyton Manning is the “vacation quarterback” in this spot for the Orlando destination, as the former Denver Broncos quarterback tours a family around the theme park, rides a rollercoaster and talks about Quidditch. Apparently for him, “the off-season is over.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.