Check Out the Svalbard Global Seed Vault — the World’s Future in One Fridge
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
TPG recently joined a select group of lucky visitors that included Sophia Bush and Martha Stewart on a tour of the “Doomsday” Global Seed Vault on Spitsbergen Island, which is part of Norway’s Svalbard archipelago north of the mainland.
Located “the farthest north you can fly on a commercial airplane,” the seed vault holds close to one million unique varieties of seeds, representing the “hard work of farmers from absolutely all over the world for the last 12,000 years.”
Some of the genetic treasures include 32 varieties of potatoes from Ireland’s national gene banks, though rice, wheat and barley crops make up the bulk of the vault, with more than 150,000 samples of wheat and rice, and close to 80,000 samples of barley. In the event of a catastrophic natural disaster, the Svalbard vault represents the world’s biggest chance for long-term survival.
Come take a look at the world’s future through their eyes:
Featured photo by JUNGE, HEIKO/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.