This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How’s this for a Valentine’s Day stunt? In order to promote the airline’s fare sale on Premium Economy seats, Virgin Atlantic took to the sky and created the ultimate symbol of love in the air.
At 11:37am GMT, flight VS850 took off from London Gatwick airport (LGW) heading towards England’s southwestern coast. The A330-200, named Honky Tonk Woman, climbed to 30,000 feet and reached a speed of 400mph where it started to make a right turn right past the town of St. Ives. From there the aircraft continued on and created a heart shape with its flight path. Swoon!
“We had a training flight planned for February 14th, and when we realized it was Valentine’s Day we decided to have a little fun,” said Captain JJ Burrows, Director of Aircraft Operations.
Virgin Atlantic had to submit a specific request to the UK’s National Air Traffic Services to carry out the special flight. Virgin is leasing the 16-year old A330 after it flew for bankrupt Air Berlin, which took the aircraft in 2011 from now-defunct German leisure airline LTU International. Virgin is apparently undaunted by the aura of bad luck that some might say surrounds the aircraft.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees