A Virgin Atlantic A330 Took Valentine’s Day to a Whole Other Level
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How’s this for a Valentine’s Day stunt? In order to promote the airline’s fare sale on Premium Economy seats, Virgin Atlantic took to the sky and created the ultimate symbol of love in the air.
At 11:37am GMT, flight VS850 took off from London Gatwick airport (LGW) heading towards England’s southwestern coast. The A330-200, named Honky Tonk Woman, climbed to 30,000 feet and reached a speed of 400mph where it started to make a right turn right past the town of St. Ives. From there the aircraft continued on and created a heart shape with its flight path. Swoon!
“We had a training flight planned for February 14th, and when we realized it was Valentine’s Day we decided to have a little fun,” said Captain JJ Burrows, Director of Aircraft Operations.
Virgin Atlantic had to submit a specific request to the UK’s National Air Traffic Services to carry out the special flight. Virgin is leasing the 16-year old A330 after it flew for bankrupt Air Berlin, which took the aircraft in 2011 from now-defunct German leisure airline LTU International. Virgin is apparently undaunted by the aura of bad luck that some might say surrounds the aircraft.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.