This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How’s this for a Valentine’s Day stunt? In order to promote the airline’s fare sale on Premium Economy seats, Virgin Atlantic took to the sky and created the ultimate symbol of love in the air.
At 11:37am GMT, flight VS850 took off from London Gatwick airport (LGW) heading towards England’s southwestern coast. The A330-200, named Honky Tonk Woman, climbed to 30,000 feet and reached a speed of 400mph where it started to make a right turn right past the town of St. Ives. From there the aircraft continued on and created a heart shape with its flight path. Swoon!
“We had a training flight planned for February 14th, and when we realized it was Valentine’s Day we decided to have a little fun,” said Captain JJ Burrows, Director of Aircraft Operations.
Virgin Atlantic had to submit a specific request to the UK’s National Air Traffic Services to carry out the special flight. Virgin is leasing the 16-year old A330 after it flew for bankrupt Air Berlin, which took the aircraft in 2011 from now-defunct German leisure airline LTU International. Virgin is apparently undaunted by the aura of bad luck that some might say surrounds the aircraft.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards