A Virgin Atlantic A330 Took Valentine’s Day to a Whole Other Level
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
How’s this for a Valentine’s Day stunt? In order to promote the airline’s fare sale on Premium Economy seats, Virgin Atlantic took to the sky and created the ultimate symbol of love in the air.
At 11:37am GMT, flight VS850 took off from London Gatwick airport (LGW) heading towards England’s southwestern coast. The A330-200, named Honky Tonk Woman, climbed to 30,000 feet and reached a speed of 400mph where it started to make a right turn right past the town of St. Ives. From there the aircraft continued on and created a heart shape with its flight path. Swoon!
“We had a training flight planned for February 14th, and when we realized it was Valentine’s Day we decided to have a little fun,” said Captain JJ Burrows, Director of Aircraft Operations.
Virgin Atlantic had to submit a specific request to the UK’s National Air Traffic Services to carry out the special flight. Virgin is leasing the 16-year old A330 after it flew for bankrupt Air Berlin, which took the aircraft in 2011 from now-defunct German leisure airline LTU International. Virgin is apparently undaunted by the aura of bad luck that some might say surrounds the aircraft.
This card from Bank of America gets really interesting if you have a BofA checking, savings or investment account. Depending on the value of your combined accounts you can potentially get as much as 3.5x points on travel/dining and 2.625x points on other purchases making it the richest consumer banking bonus out there.
- Receive 50,000 bonus points – a $500 value – after you make at least $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening
- Earn unlimited 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and unlimited 1.5 points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- If you're a Bank of America Preferred Rewards member, you can earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase
- No limit to the points you can earn and your points don't expire
- Redeem for cash back as a statement credit, deposit into eligible Bank of America® accounts, credit to eligible Merrill accounts, or gift cards or purchases at the Bank of America Travel Center
- Get up to $200 in combined airline incidental and airport expedited screening statement credits + valuable travel insurance protections
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Low $95 annual fee