You Can Now Use Your Commuter Benefits for Lyft Rides in 14 More Cities
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Commuters will be happy to learn that Lyft is expanding its program allowing riders to use pre-tax dollars from commuter benefits.
The ride-sharing company has announced that it’s expanding the option to use pre-tax dollars via a benefits card to pay for any Lyft Line rides, Lyft’s carpool option, in a city where Line service is available. The option to use commuter benefits to pay for Lyft Line rides was only available in four cities before, with this move adding 14 more cities to the list. In fact, now every city that offers Lyft Line rides will have this option.
You’ll just need to add the commuter card your employer gives you to your Lyft account and then select it as your payment method before requesting a Line ride. The company says that you can save up to 37% when using your pre-tax dollars for the service. But don’t always expect it to be a super quick way to get to work, as Line rides are shared and cars can offer capacity for up to six people.
Lyft has partnered with WageWorks, Benefit Resource, Commuter Benefit Solutions, Navia, Zenefits, and Ameriflex — check if your employer uses any of those companies for benefits and you may be eligible for the service.
Lyft says that 42% of its passengers are commuting with the service. Uber also offers a similar option to use pre-tax commuter dollars for UberPool rides.
Line is currently available in Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New Jersey, New York City, Philadelphia, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose / Silicon Valley, Seattle, and Washington, DC.
Featured image courtesy of Lyft.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.