This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Commuters will be happy to learn that Lyft is expanding its program allowing riders to use pre-tax dollars from commuter benefits.
The ride-sharing company has announced that it’s expanding the option to use pre-tax dollars via a benefits card to pay for any Lyft Line rides, Lyft’s carpool option, in a city where Line service is available. The option to use commuter benefits to pay for Lyft Line rides was only available in four cities before, with this move adding 14 more cities to the list. In fact, now every city that offers Lyft Line rides will have this option.
You’ll just need to add the commuter card your employer gives you to your Lyft account and then select it as your payment method before requesting a Line ride. The company says that you can save up to 37% when using your pre-tax dollars for the service. But don’t always expect it to be a super quick way to get to work, as Line rides are shared and cars can offer capacity for up to six people.
Lyft has partnered with WageWorks, Benefit Resource, Commuter Benefit Solutions, Navia, Zenefits, and Ameriflex — check if your employer uses any of those companies for benefits and you may be eligible for the service.
Lyft says that 42% of its passengers are commuting with the service. Uber also offers a similar option to use pre-tax commuter dollars for UberPool rides.
Line is currently available in Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New Jersey, New York City, Philadelphia, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose / Silicon Valley, Seattle, and Washington, DC.
Featured image courtesy of Lyft.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards