This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Commuters will be happy to learn that Lyft is expanding its program allowing riders to use pre-tax dollars from commuter benefits.
The ride-sharing company has announced that it’s expanding the option to use pre-tax dollars via a benefits card to pay for any Lyft Line rides, Lyft’s carpool option, in a city where Line service is available. The option to use commuter benefits to pay for Lyft Line rides was only available in four cities before, with this move adding 14 more cities to the list. In fact, now every city that offers Lyft Line rides will have this option.
You’ll just need to add the commuter card your employer gives you to your Lyft account and then select it as your payment method before requesting a Line ride. The company says that you can save up to 37% when using your pre-tax dollars for the service. But don’t always expect it to be a super quick way to get to work, as Line rides are shared and cars can offer capacity for up to six people.
Lyft has partnered with WageWorks, Benefit Resource, Commuter Benefit Solutions, Navia, Zenefits, and Ameriflex — check if your employer uses any of those companies for benefits and you may be eligible for the service.
Lyft says that 42% of its passengers are commuting with the service. Uber also offers a similar option to use pre-tax commuter dollars for UberPool rides.
Line is currently available in Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, New Jersey, New York City, Philadelphia, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose / Silicon Valley, Seattle, and Washington, DC.
Featured image courtesy of Lyft.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees