This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United’s offering a limited-time promotion in which you can earn up to a 75% bonus on purchased miles, as well as the opportunity to win 1,000,000 miles. Through March 9, 2018, you can purchase United MileagePlus miles with up to a 75% bonus. Plus, United is giving one MileagePlus member the opportunity to win one million miles.
The regular price for buying United miles is 3.76 cents apiece. However, with the 75% bonus, you’ll be able to purchase miles for just 2.15 per mile. Not only that, but for each purchased miles transaction, you’ll get one (or more) entries into the 1,000,000-mile giveaway. Here’s how the promotion breaks down based on how many miles you purchase:
- Buy 5,000-14,000 miles, get a 25% bonus and one ballot into the sweepstakes
- Buy 15,000-29,000 miles, get a 50% bonus and one ballot into the sweepstakes
- Buy 30,000-85,000 miles, get a 75% bonus and two ballots into the sweepstakes.
Whether or not it’s worth it to purchase miles depends on your situation. But, based on TPG‘s most recent valuations, which peg United miles at 1.4 cents apiece, the ability to purchase them for as little as 2.15 cents apiece is more appealing than normal, though not the best deal.
To make the sweepstakes deal part of this promotion even sweeter, United is topping the 1,000,000-mile grand prize with $9,800 in cash to offset the taxes. So, you’d be getting all million miles without the added cash in taxes.
According to the terms and conditions, there are a limit of two entries per person into the million-mile sweepstakes, and only US residents are eligible for the sweepstakes. As for the buy miles promotion, miles must be purchased in increments of 1,000 up to a maximum of 85,000 miles. MileagePlus members can purchase up to 150,000 miles per calendar year, and the bonus miles from this promotion will count toward that limit.
If you’re planning to utilize this promotion, here’s how to do so:
- Visit United’s Buy Miles page.
- Click on Buy Personal Miles.
- Enter your United MileagePlus account number and last name.
- Select the number of miles you want to buy and fill in the required information to finalize your purchase.
Note that the purchase is processed by Points.com, so you won’t get any travel category bonuses from this purchase. Make sure to use the best non-bonus category credit card for your situation. Based on TPG’s valuations, the Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express’s 2x Membership Rewards or Chase Freedom Unlimited’s 1.5x Ultimate Rewards points would be the most rewarding choice.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees