This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on a United Airlines flight experienced two diversions and a landing that took them off the runway in Green Bay, Wisconsin, early Friday morning.
United Flight 878 was bound for Minneapolis (MSP) from Houston (IAH) on Thursday evening. With a scheduled departure time of 7:40 p.m., the Boeing 737-900 didn’t take off until 9:33 p.m. Nearing its destination, the aircraft had to be diverted to Madison, Wisconsin (MSN) because of Minneapolis’ dangerous weather conditions.
After 45 minutes on the ground in Madison, the plane took off with Minneapolis in its sights. Radar images from FlightRadar24 show the 737 making multiple passes over Minneapolis. But again, the bad weather forced the plane to divert, this time to Green Bay (GRB).
When the plane landed at 3:15 a.m., the runway was so icy that the aircraft skidded about 250 feet off the tarmac, according to Tom Miller, director of Austin Straubel International Airport. No injuries of the 180 passengers or seven crew members on board were reported.
“You couldn’t feel the brakes biting at all,” passenger Mike Henderson told KARE-TV. “And then all of a sudden bumpety bump, and we’re now sitting off in the weeds at the end of the runway.”
Passengers were offered the option of taking a bus to Minneapolis or waiting for a later flight from Green Bay. The FAA is currently investigating the incident.
Featured image courtesy of Jacdec / Twitter.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards