United Flight Skids off Runway After Being Diverted Twice
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on a United Airlines flight experienced two diversions and a landing that took them off the runway in Green Bay, Wisconsin, early Friday morning.
United Flight 878 was bound for Minneapolis (MSP) from Houston (IAH) on Thursday evening. With a scheduled departure time of 7:40 p.m., the Boeing 737-900 didn’t take off until 9:33 p.m. Nearing its destination, the aircraft had to be diverted to Madison, Wisconsin (MSN) because of Minneapolis’ dangerous weather conditions.
After 45 minutes on the ground in Madison, the plane took off with Minneapolis in its sights. Radar images from FlightRadar24 show the 737 making multiple passes over Minneapolis. But again, the bad weather forced the plane to divert, this time to Green Bay (GRB).
When the plane landed at 3:15 a.m., the runway was so icy that the aircraft skidded about 250 feet off the tarmac, according to Tom Miller, director of Austin Straubel International Airport. No injuries of the 180 passengers or seven crew members on board were reported.
“You couldn’t feel the brakes biting at all,” passenger Mike Henderson told KARE-TV. “And then all of a sudden bumpety bump, and we’re now sitting off in the weeds at the end of the runway.”
Passengers were offered the option of taking a bus to Minneapolis or waiting for a later flight from Green Bay. The FAA is currently investigating the incident.
Featured image courtesy of Jacdec / Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.