United Flight Conducts Emergency Landing Due to Smoke in Cockpit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A United flight was diverted yesterday after smoke appeared in the cockpit, the Federal Aviation Administration said. United flight 1165 was traveling from Newark (EWR) to Los Angeles (LAX) when pilots decided to make an emergency landing at Lehigh Valley International Airport (ABE).
The Boeing 757-200 landed in Lehigh at 9:20 p.m. EST after taking off from Newark at 8:53 p.m.
According to ABC News, United confirmed that the incident did occur but said that there were “reports of smoke in the lavatory” and not in the cockpit.
“The flight landed safely, and we will transport customers back to Newark this evening via bus and provide hotel accommodations, helping customers resume their travels as quickly as possible on Wednesday,” United told ABC. “Our maintenance team will inspect the aircraft to determine the cause. We apologize to our customers for this inconvenience.”
Videos on Twitter show the plane on the ground at ABE, surrounded by the flashing lights of firetrucks and police cars.
Passengers can be seen deplaning from a set of stairs — walking past loads of emergency responders and their vehicles.
The FAA and United are investigating the incident. Lehigh Valley Airport is about 80 miles east of Newark and 65 miles northeast of Philadelphia.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.