United 737’s Tire Pops Upon Takeoff at Newark
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A United Airlines jet popped one of its tires upon takeoff at Newark International Airport (EWR) on Sunday evening. Fortunately, United Flight 1551 landed in Portland (PDX) safely after the six-and-a-half hour journey from Newark.
The Boeing 737-900 took off from Newark at 7:18pm EST, and during takeoff at least one of the aircraft’s tires popped, Port of Portland said. KOIN 6 reported that it was a “tire on the front end of the plane” that popped. The aircraft landed at 10:29 PM, just 14 minutes after its scheduled arrival time, according to FlightRadar24.
Police, fire, and emergency crews waited for the plane but were unneeded as there were no sparks or smoke coming from the landing gear. A United spokesperson told KATU that there were no injuries reported.
“So, when we were taking off out of Newark, the plane kind of shuddered as the nose lifted,” passenger Kyle Hobbs told KOIN 6. “After that, everything was fine. About 90 minutes before we landed, the crew came out, made sure everyone was awake. Told us we were going to have a problem with the landing gear and to prepare for the worst.”
Passengers were instructed by United Flight attendants how to correctly brace for a rough landing and actually switched seats with four flyers to help with deploying the emergency slide in case it was needed. Passengers said the landing was a little shaky.
Once the aircraft came to a stop, it was towed to a gate. The incident didn’t affect other flights at Portland airport.
Featured image by Jackie Labrecque / Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.