This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A United Airlines jet popped one of its tires upon takeoff at Newark International Airport (EWR) on Sunday evening. Fortunately, United Flight 1551 landed in Portland (PDX) safely after the six-and-a-half hour journey from Newark.
The Boeing 737-900 took off from Newark at 7:18pm EST, and during takeoff at least one of the aircraft’s tires popped, Port of Portland said. KOIN 6 reported that it was a “tire on the front end of the plane” that popped. The aircraft landed at 10:29 PM, just 14 minutes after its scheduled arrival time, according to FlightRadar24.
Police, fire, and emergency crews waited for the plane but were unneeded as there were no sparks or smoke coming from the landing gear. A United spokesperson told KATU that there were no injuries reported.
“So, when we were taking off out of Newark, the plane kind of shuddered as the nose lifted,” passenger Kyle Hobbs told KOIN 6. “After that, everything was fine. About 90 minutes before we landed, the crew came out, made sure everyone was awake. Told us we were going to have a problem with the landing gear and to prepare for the worst.”
Passengers were instructed by United Flight attendants how to correctly brace for a rough landing and actually switched seats with four flyers to help with deploying the emergency slide in case it was needed. Passengers said the landing was a little shaky.
Once the aircraft came to a stop, it was towed to a gate. The incident didn’t affect other flights at Portland airport.
Featured image by Jackie Labrecque / Twitter.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees