This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A United Airlines jet popped one of its tires upon takeoff at Newark International Airport (EWR) on Sunday evening. Fortunately, United Flight 1551 landed in Portland (PDX) safely after the six-and-a-half hour journey from Newark.
The Boeing 737-900 took off from Newark at 7:18pm EST, and during takeoff at least one of the aircraft’s tires popped, Port of Portland said. KOIN 6 reported that it was a “tire on the front end of the plane” that popped. The aircraft landed at 10:29 PM, just 14 minutes after its scheduled arrival time, according to FlightRadar24.
Police, fire, and emergency crews waited for the plane but were unneeded as there were no sparks or smoke coming from the landing gear. A United spokesperson told KATU that there were no injuries reported.
“So, when we were taking off out of Newark, the plane kind of shuddered as the nose lifted,” passenger Kyle Hobbs told KOIN 6. “After that, everything was fine. About 90 minutes before we landed, the crew came out, made sure everyone was awake. Told us we were going to have a problem with the landing gear and to prepare for the worst.”
Passengers were instructed by United Flight attendants how to correctly brace for a rough landing and actually switched seats with four flyers to help with deploying the emergency slide in case it was needed. Passengers said the landing was a little shaky.
Once the aircraft came to a stop, it was towed to a gate. The incident didn’t affect other flights at Portland airport.
Featured image by Jackie Labrecque / Twitter.
This cash back card has a focus on dining and entertainment where you can earn unlimited 4% cash back in those spending categories. You can also earn 2% cash back at grocery stores and 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Earn a one-time $500 cash bonus after you spend $3000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% at grocery stores and 1% on all other purchases
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- Access to premium experiences in dining, entertainment and more
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, $95 after that