This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Passengers on board a United Airlines flight bound for Hawaii witnessed a shocking sight on Tuesday when an engine cowling fell off in-flight.
United Flight 1175 from San Francisco (SFO) to Honolulu (HNL) was forced to make an emergency landing at HNL when the covering of the right-hand engine fell off. About 35 minutes before UA1175 was set to land at HNL, passengers reported hearing a loud bang. One passenger was able to capture video of the exposed engine:
Immediately afterwards, crew sent out a distress call and made the emergency landing at HNL. One passenger described the experience as “the scariest flight in my life,” with severe shaking on the descent into HNL.
“United flight 1175 traveling to Honolulu from San Francisco landed safely after the pilots called for an emergency landing because of a loss of the engine cowling (the covering of the engine),” United said in a statement. “Our pilots followed all necessary protocols to safely land the aircraft. The aircraft taxied to the gate and passengers deplaned normally.”
The Boeing 777-222 — tail number N773UA — is one of the oldest 777s out there, only the fourth off the production line. It was delivered to United in 1994, according to Airfleets. The aircraft is equipped with two Pratt & Whitney PW4000 engines, and like all twin jets, is designed to fly with a single engine if need be.
Upon landing at HNL, aircraft rescue and fire crew met the airliner. United said that it is fully cooperating with investigations by the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board.
Featured image by Wikimedia Commons.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
Earn unlimited 10x miles on hotel stays booked and paid through hotels.com/venture. Pair that with the Hotels.com Rewards program and you'll essentially be getting 20% off of hotel bookings! With the 50,000 mile sign-up bonus you can get up to $700 in value based on TPG's most recent valuations and you'll have the flexibility to transfer those miles to participating airline partners or redeem those miles on any purchase for airfare, hotel stays, car rentals and more.
- Enjoy a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within 3 months from account opening, equal to $500 in travel
- Earn 2X miles on every purchase, every day. Plus earn 10X miles on thousands of hotels, through January 2020; learn more at hotels.com/venture
- Named ‘The Best Travel Card' by CNBC, 2018
- Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®
- Fly any airline, stay at any hotel, anytime; no blackout dates. Plus transfer your miles to over 12 leading travel loyalty programs
- Miles won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how many you can earn
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year; $95 after that