Tip: How to Keep Track of Your Mail for Free While Traveling
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
My wife, TPG contributor Katie, and I are “digital nomads.” Ever since we gave up our Austin apartment in June 2017, we’ve been traveling full-time. One of the questions we had before making the transition to living on the road is how to receive mail. We found a few services willing to accept, open and scan our mail. Trouble is, these services don’t come cheap.
Then, we found out about a free service that the United States Postal Service offers called Informed Delivery, and our search was over. In the 7+ month since, this service is how we’ve been keeping track of what mail has been sent to our address. The basics of the system are pretty simple: USPS scans “grayscale images of the exterior, address side of letter-sized mailpieces” that are going to be delivered to your registered address that day. This comes in a digest letter that I’ve received between 7:30am and 11:00am each morning.
In addition to scans of your mail, you’ll also be able to track USPS packages with options to “provide delivery instructions, manage notifications, and schedule redelivery.” There’s even an Apple, Android and Microsoft app if you’re that serious about tracking your mail.
If you’re interested in signing up, here are the steps to do so:
- Go to informeddelivery.usps.com.
- Select “Sign Up For Free.”
- Enter your address to determine if it’s eligible for Informed Delivery.
- If your address is eligible, create or login to your usps.com account.
- After you create your usps.com account, select “Informed Delivery” in the top right of your profile page.
- Select “Enroll” and scroll down to the Informed Delivery box under “Account Management.” Click the box to expand it.
- Select the appropriate boxes to agree to the terms and conditions and certify your address, then select “Enroll in Informed Delivery” to continue.
- Complete the identity verification questions
- Opt-in to Informed Delivery by selecting “Enroll” and fill out your username, password, security questions and contact information to create your profile.
- Complete the identity verification process (if you have not already done so when setting up your usps.com account).
Once you’re done, the USPS notes that you should begin receiving notifications within a week.
Feature photo by Seb Oliver/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.