Limited Time: Buy Starpoints for 2.28 Cents Each With a 35% Discount
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here – Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
For a limited time, Starwood Preferred Guest is offering a buy points promotion where you can get up to 35% off the regular price. The standard price for purchasing Starpoints is 3.5 cents apiece, so with the 35% discount, you can purchase each point for the reduced price of 2.28 cents.
You’ll unlock the 35% discount now through March 16, 2018, when you purchase at least 5,000 Starpoints. Points are available for purchase in 500-point increments:
- Buy 500-3,000 Starpoints at 3.5 cents apiece
- Buy 5,000-30,000 Starpoints and save 35% (2.28 cents apiece)
Options to buy 3,500, 4,000 or 4,500 points are not available because buying those amounts without a discount would cost more than buying 5,000 points with the discount.
Is It Worth It?
Based on TPG’s most recent valuations, Starpoints are worth 2.7 cents apiece — one of the most valuable point currencies out there. With this promotion, you have the opportunity to purchase Starpoints at just 2.28 cents apiece, so if you can redeem them for 2.7 cents each or more, you’ll come out ahead. There are a wide variety of ways to maximize Starpoints — from hotel stays to transferring to airline programs and SPG Moments — which is why these points are so valuable.
Keep in mind there are several restrictions for purchasing Starpoints that apply to this promotion:
- Members can only purchase and/or receive as a gift 30,000 points per account per calendar year, though you may gift an unlimited number of purchased points to others (each receiving member also has a 30,000 point calendar year limit).
- Purchased points do not count toward Gold Preferred Guest or Platinum Preferred Guest Status.
- Starpoint purchases can be made by members whose accounts have been active for a minimum of 14 days. Accounts that are less than the required 14 days in age will have the purchase attempt cancelled.
Note that these purchase points promotions aren’t processed by SPG, but rather come through Points.com, so general travel category bonuses or SPG bonuses won’t apply. Make sure to use the best non-bonus category credit card for your situation.
Of course, you can stock up on Starpoints for much cheaper by applying for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express or the Starwood Preferred Guest Business Credit Card from American Express as long as you haven’t gotten the cards in the past, Both are currently offering a 25,000-point bonus. And, if you’re thinking about adding some Starpoints to your stash, remember that this 35% discount only lasts until March 16, 2018.
Featured image of St. Regis Punta Mita by Starwood Hotels & Resorts.
H/T: Mommy Points