Southwest Operations Return ‘Close to Normal’ in Chicago Following Deicing Meltdown
Following an icy situation, Southwest is expecting Monday operations to return to “close to normal.” Sunday’s winter weather in Chicago forced Southwest Airlines to cancel all of its flights out of Midway Airport (MDW), as the carrier reportedly ran out of deicing fluid.
In a statement, the carrier said that the weather in the Chicago area was so bad that it forced it to cancel the flights: “Throughout the storms, we’ve actively worked to manage our glycol levels (used to deice aircraft) but due to the severity of the winter weather Southwest has proactively canceled about 220 flights as of midday Sunday.”
Since the carrier had to use so much deicing fluid, it ended up running out — prompting the mass cancellation.
Since Sunday’s shutdown, Southwest has reportedly received replacement deicing fluid — enough to resume MDW operations close to normal. However, a FlightRadar24 search shows that 53% of MDW departures have been delayed on Monday — at least 30 of which are Southwest-operated.
If you’re traveling through MDW with Southwest on Monday, it’ll be best to check the status of your flight before heading to the airport.
Sunday’s weather-related issue wasn’t the first time that Southwest has faced de-icing problems. In late 2017, Southwest canceled more than 90 flights because of de-icing delays.
Featured image by RaksyBH / Shutterstock.com.
H/T: Chicago Tribune
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.