Smoke in Rear of Southwest Plane Causes Emergency Evacuation
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Southwest Boeing 737 headed from John Wayne International Airport (SNA) in Orange County, California, to San Jose (SJC) was evacuated in an emergency Monday night due to a fire. Flight 2123 was stopped by ground crews after being pushed back from its gate when they noticed a fire in the rear of the plane.
The Boeing 737-700, with 143 seats, was immediately evacuated via the emergency slides and the overwing emergency exits.
All 139 passengers and five crew members onboard safely evacuated — five people reported minor injuries but none of them sought further treatment after initial treatment by emergency crew on the ground.
The fire, in the auxiliary power unit, was extinguished by the plane’s fire suppression system, officials report. The auxiliary unit is a small turbine engine located in the tail that can provide backup power on the ground, but whose main purpose is to provide power to start the engines. The decision to evacuate the plane was made out of “an abundance of caution,” according to responders at the scene. Passengers were taken back to the terminal after evacuating the plane and gate agents helped them book other flights to San Jose.
Eventful evacuation at #SNA – I got to stand on the wing and the slide was crazy. @SouthwestAir handling it great – calm and still trying to make us laugh – but we are all so tired pic.twitter.com/mHLl93MwQh
– lynnee (@lynnee) February 13, 2018
“Although some ground crews had seen some smoke coming from the tail, which is where the auxiliary power unit is, the pilots had very quickly pulled the fire extinguishing system and if there was any fire back there, it was extinguished quickly,” said OC Fire Authority Battalion Chief Ric Schultz in a news clip.
Due to a fire believed to be in the auxiliary power unit, the SW crew decided to evacuate the plane. 139 passengers and 5 crew members. A few minor injuries and no one was transported. Fire is out.
— John Wayne Airport (@JohnWayneAir) February 13, 2018
The emergency evacuation temporarily shutdown part of the taxiway at SNA but later returned to normal operation.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees