See Beautiful Drone Footage of the Rare Snowfall in Rome
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Early Monday morning, Romans woke up to the heaviest snowfall the city has received in six years. The rare winter storm prompted schools to close and iconic tourist sites like the Colosseum to shut down, in addition to many flight cancelations and travel disruptions. Yet, that didn’t stop many locals and tourists from savoring the blanket of snow.
For a city with typically mild winter temperatures, Rome came to a halt, and many people in the Italian capital took the rare opportunity to ski, sled and have snowball fights. Drone footage captured the Eternal City’s unexpected winter wonderland from a bird’s eye view and showed the Colosseum beautifully covered with snow:
Although much of the snow melted by mid-afternoon Monday, freezing temperatures overnight caused ice and more traffic and train chaos, which prompted officials to keep schools closed on Tuesday, according to Chicago Tribune.
For those looking to visit Italy in the next few days, a complete list of disruptions to train schedules can be found at Trenitalia’s website. For those who decided not to travel due to the bad weather, or whose train journey was delayed by more than three hours, Trenitalia has promised a full refund of ticket prices for trips on February 26 and February 27.
Featured Image by VINCENZO PINTO/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees