See Beautiful Drone Footage of the Rare Snowfall in Rome
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Early Monday morning, Romans woke up to the heaviest snowfall the city has received in six years. The rare winter storm prompted schools to close and iconic tourist sites like the Colosseum to shut down, in addition to many flight cancelations and travel disruptions. Yet, that didn’t stop many locals and tourists from savoring the blanket of snow.
For a city with typically mild winter temperatures, Rome came to a halt, and many people in the Italian capital took the rare opportunity to ski, sled and have snowball fights. Drone footage captured the Eternal City’s unexpected winter wonderland from a bird’s eye view and showed the Colosseum beautifully covered with snow:
Although much of the snow melted by mid-afternoon Monday, freezing temperatures overnight caused ice and more traffic and train chaos, which prompted officials to keep schools closed on Tuesday, according to Chicago Tribune.
For those looking to visit Italy in the next few days, a complete list of disruptions to train schedules can be found at Trenitalia’s website. For those who decided not to travel due to the bad weather, or whose train journey was delayed by more than three hours, Trenitalia has promised a full refund of ticket prices for trips on February 26 and February 27.
Featured Image by VINCENZO PINTO/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.