This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Early Monday morning, Romans woke up to the heaviest snowfall the city has received in six years. The rare winter storm prompted schools to close and iconic tourist sites like the Colosseum to shut down, in addition to many flight cancelations and travel disruptions. Yet, that didn’t stop many locals and tourists from savoring the blanket of snow.
For a city with typically mild winter temperatures, Rome came to a halt, and many people in the Italian capital took the rare opportunity to ski, sled and have snowball fights. Drone footage captured the Eternal City’s unexpected winter wonderland from a bird’s eye view and showed the Colosseum beautifully covered with snow:
Although much of the snow melted by mid-afternoon Monday, freezing temperatures overnight caused ice and more traffic and train chaos, which prompted officials to keep schools closed on Tuesday, according to Chicago Tribune.
For those looking to visit Italy in the next few days, a complete list of disruptions to train schedules can be found at Trenitalia’s website. For those who decided not to travel due to the bad weather, or whose train journey was delayed by more than three hours, Trenitalia has promised a full refund of ticket prices for trips on February 26 and February 27.
Featured Image by VINCENZO PINTO/AFP/Getty Images
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees