This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Early Monday morning, Romans woke up to the heaviest snowfall the city has received in six years. The rare winter storm prompted schools to close and iconic tourist sites like the Colosseum to shut down, in addition to many flight cancelations and travel disruptions. Yet, that didn’t stop many locals and tourists from savoring the blanket of snow.
For a city with typically mild winter temperatures, Rome came to a halt, and many people in the Italian capital took the rare opportunity to ski, sled and have snowball fights. Drone footage captured the Eternal City’s unexpected winter wonderland from a bird’s eye view and showed the Colosseum beautifully covered with snow:
Although much of the snow melted by mid-afternoon Monday, freezing temperatures overnight caused ice and more traffic and train chaos, which prompted officials to keep schools closed on Tuesday, according to Chicago Tribune.
For those looking to visit Italy in the next few days, a complete list of disruptions to train schedules can be found at Trenitalia’s website. For those who decided not to travel due to the bad weather, or whose train journey was delayed by more than three hours, Trenitalia has promised a full refund of ticket prices for trips on February 26 and February 27.
Featured Image by VINCENZO PINTO/AFP/Getty Images
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees