This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
British Airways may not be highly popular among miles collectors due to the high surcharges it charges on award flights, but it’s a great airline for getting a deal to Europe, and booking cheap BA premium cabin flights can be a great way of earning American Airlines status. But, if you’re paying full price for those flights, you’re leaving money on the table.
Did you know that anyone can pay a $16 membership fee to save up to $200 per person off British Airways flights? The promotion is a long-running partnership between British Airways and AARP. Yes, the “American Association of Retired Persons” will let people of all ages and any employment status sign up and book British Airways flights with a discount. As a 31-year old non-retired person, I’m a multi-year member of the AARP — having signed up originally to book a $1,100 round-trip business class flight to Spain.
January 31, 2018 was the last day to book British Airways flights under the existing AARP discount. But, thankfully, we woke up February 1 to find the discount extended for bookings through January 31, 2019.
The downside is that the AARP program was cut back yet again. In early 2017, the business/first discount was slashed from $400 to $200. Then in late 2017, the premium economy discount was scrapped. Now, first class discounts has been removed. That leaves:
In order to get the discount, you must book a round-trip transatlantic ticket from the US and start the ticket booking on AARP’s British Airways landing page.
The terms and conditions state that “this offer is not combinable with any other discount or deal.” However, we’ve found that you can in fact combine this $200 with the 10% discount you’ll get when paying with Chase Visa cards. While the discount is designed for cardholders of the British Airways Visa Signature Card, readers have reported successfully using other Chase cards such as Chase Sapphire Reserve and Chase Sapphire Preferred.
For full details and terms on how to take advantage of this Visa 10% off promotion, check out this comprehensive guide.
- 50,000 bonus Avios after you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn an additional 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $10,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening for a total of 75,000 bonus Avios.
- Earn a further 25,000 bonus Avios after you spend $20,000 total on purchases within your first year from account opening for a total of 100,000 bonus Avios.
- Every calendar year you make $30,000 in purchases on your British Airways Visa card, you’ll earn a Travel Together Ticket good for two years.
- In addition to the bonus Avios, you will also get 3 Avios for every $1 spent on British Airways purchases and 1 Avios for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel abroad.
- Chip Technology allows you to use your card for chip based purchases in Europe & beyond, while still giving you the ability to use your card as you do today at home.