Santa Barbara Officials Recommend Evacuations Before Winter Storm
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Officials in Santa Barbara County are advising citizens in parts of the city to evacuate before a winter storm hits the area on Thursday.
Residents of Goleta, Santa Barbara, Montecito, Summerland and Carpinteria were urged by the Sheriff’s Office to evacuate by 8 a.m. Wednesday, the Los Angeles Times reports.
The Santa Barbara area is still recovering from the extreme wildfires that recently ripped through the city in December and early January, so the region is prone to mudslides following storms. Thursday’s storm system is expected to go right over the mountain areas scarred by the fires. The county’s warning said “high risk for loss of life and property exists.”
Meteorologists predict as much as one-third to two-thirds of an inch of rain per hour through Friday. As of now, the evacuations are not mandatory, but residents were strongly urged to leave the area for their own safety.
Following the fires in early January, the region saw mudslides, which devastated neighborhoods and killed 21 people. Two people remain missing.
Feature photo: Firefighters from Long Beach Fire Urban Search and Rescue begin their patrol on Channel Drive in front of the Four Seasons Biltmore January 11, 2018 after a rainstorm sent mud and debris through Montecito neighborhoods. (Photo by Al Seib/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.