Ryanair Closes Glasgow Base Due to Brexit
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ryanair announced Tuesday that it would be closing its base in Glasgow, Scotland (GLA) due in part to financial uncertainty caused by Brexit. The Irish low-cost carrier will slash the number of routes out of GLA from 23 down to only three.
The airline also estimated that the closure puts about 300 jobs at Glasgow Airport at risk. Partially to blame for the closure is Scotland’s air passenger duty tax, which is a fee on passengers leaving Scottish airports, but some think the fee has a more dramatic impact on Glasgow-based fares.
“Sadly our Glasgow base will close, about half a million of those passengers will transfer through Edinburgh. The weaker Scottish economy is even weaker in Glasgow, and we simply can’t bear the air passenger duty of £13 ($18),” O’Brien said.
The announcement came as the airline unveiled its route schedule for winter 2018. Glasgow Airport said it was “bitterly disappointed” by Ryanair’s decision.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.