Don’t Wait to Book: Great Award Space on AA’s Premium Transcon Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, we wrote about plentiful Virgin America first-class award space, which was bookable with AAdvantage miles. Now, however, there’s fairly wide-open award space on AA’s own premium nonstop routes between New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO), and you can depart as soon as today (Tuesday, February 6):
You can search right from the AA.com homepage, although the Advanced Search option will sometimes return more results. Once you have the initial results, select the “Non-Stop Only” option from the drop-down to eliminate the connecting flights.
Here are the first class nonstop options from NYC to LA starting Wednesday, February 7:
While AA’s MileSAAver domestic first class awards are generally 25,000 one-way, the airline charges 50,000 miles each way on this route due to the quality of the product. On these A321T-operated flights, first class is arranged with just one seat on each side of the aisle. Each seat is fully lie-flat and both the service and dining are designed for the celebrities that frequent this route. (I sat across from Ansel Elgort the last time I flew this route in business class.)
If you splurge for a first-class award, you’ll get a chance to check out American Airlines’ industry-leading Flagship First Dining before the flight at either JFK or LAX.
The food’s so good that AA’s half-jokingly reminding passengers not to forget about their flights:
If you decide to enjoy the lie-flat bed rather than eating in-flight, you might even be able to score a meal after arrival too. When I talked with the JFK Flagship Lounge manager in December, he said that first-class passengers are “absolutely” welcome to visit for a meal after their flight — although this may have been a temporary measure during the airline’s LAX catering crisis.
Other Mileage Programs
If you’ve got points and miles in other currencies than AAdvantage, you can actually score an even better deal:
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles: JFK-LAX for 30,000 miles one-way in business class
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles: JFK-LAX for 40,000 miles one-way in first class
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles: JFK-LAX for 50,000 miles round-trip in business class
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles: JFK-LAX for 70,000 miles round-trip in first class
- Japan Airlines Mileage Bank: JFK-LAX for 90,000 miles round-trip in first class
British Airways Avios can also be used for this route at 50,000 Avios each way in first class — the same rate as what AAdvantage charges.
H/T: View From The Wing
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.