Don’t Wait to Book: Great Award Space on AA’s Premium Transcon Routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, we wrote about plentiful Virgin America first-class award space, which was bookable with AAdvantage miles. Now, however, there’s fairly wide-open award space on AA’s own premium nonstop routes between New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO), and you can depart as soon as today (Tuesday, February 6):
You can search right from the AA.com homepage, although the Advanced Search option will sometimes return more results. Once you have the initial results, select the “Non-Stop Only” option from the drop-down to eliminate the connecting flights.
Here are the first class nonstop options from NYC to LA starting Wednesday, February 7:
While AA’s MileSAAver domestic first class awards are generally 25,000 one-way, the airline charges 50,000 miles each way on this route due to the quality of the product. On these A321T-operated flights, first class is arranged with just one seat on each side of the aisle. Each seat is fully lie-flat and both the service and dining are designed for the celebrities that frequent this route. (I sat across from Ansel Elgort the last time I flew this route in business class.)
If you splurge for a first-class award, you’ll get a chance to check out American Airlines’ industry-leading Flagship First Dining before the flight at either JFK or LAX.
The food’s so good that AA’s half-jokingly reminding passengers not to forget about their flights:
If you decide to enjoy the lie-flat bed rather than eating in-flight, you might even be able to score a meal after arrival too. When I talked with the JFK Flagship Lounge manager in December, he said that first-class passengers are “absolutely” welcome to visit for a meal after their flight — although this may have been a temporary measure during the airline’s LAX catering crisis.
Other Mileage Programs
If you’ve got points and miles in other currencies than AAdvantage, you can actually score an even better deal:
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles: JFK-LAX for 30,000 miles one-way in business class
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles: JFK-LAX for 40,000 miles one-way in first class
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles: JFK-LAX for 50,000 miles round-trip in business class
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles: JFK-LAX for 70,000 miles round-trip in first class
- Japan Airlines Mileage Bank: JFK-LAX for 90,000 miles round-trip in first class
British Airways Avios can also be used for this route at 50,000 Avios each way in first class — the same rate as what AAdvantage charges.
H/T: View From The Wing
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees