Qatar Airways Devalues Privilege Club Upgrades, Restricts Lounge Access
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qatar Airways is further limiting what passengers are permitted to enter its lounges and get preferred baggage perks. For tickets issued after February 5, 2018, the Doha-based carrier will not allow passengers who have upgraded to a premium cabin using Qmiles or Qpoints to receive baggage and lounge access benefits of that cabin. Instead, passengers who upgrade using points will get the same baggage and lounge access benefits of the class of the original ticket purchased — not that of the upgraded ticket.
As reported by One Mile at a Time, those upgrading from economy to business class with points will no longer have access to the Al Mourjan Lounge in Doha (DOH). And for those upgrading from business to first class (or from economy to first class on short-haul routes in the region), you’ll no longer get access to the Al Safwa Lounge in DOH.
As OMAAT notes, in November 2017, Qatar stopped allowing passengers to enter their upgraded ticket’s lounges when they upgraded on the same day of departure. So, this new policy further restricts lounge access and baggage perks for passengers who use points or miles to upgrade at all.
From a passenger perspective, this is a pretty unfortunate devaluation from Qatar and its Qatar Airways Privilege Club program. While those who have upgraded their ticket to a more premium cabin using miles are no longer eligible to get the upgraded cabin’s perks, passengers who book a full award ticket are still eligible for baggage benefits and lounge access. So, for now, you’re still granted all of the perks when flying on an award ticket — it’s only upgraded tickets using points that are being excluded. Hopefully we don’t see those perks go away in the future.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.