This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qatar Airways is further limiting what passengers are permitted to enter its lounges and get preferred baggage perks. For tickets issued after February 5, 2018, the Doha-based carrier will not allow passengers who have upgraded to a premium cabin using Qmiles or Qpoints to receive baggage and lounge access benefits of that cabin. Instead, passengers who upgrade using points will get the same baggage and lounge access benefits of the class of the original ticket purchased — not that of the upgraded ticket.
As reported by One Mile at a Time, those upgrading from economy to business class with points will no longer have access to the Al Mourjan Lounge in Doha (DOH). And for those upgrading from business to first class (or from economy to first class on short-haul routes in the region), you’ll no longer get access to the Al Safwa Lounge in DOH.
As OMAAT notes, in November 2017, Qatar stopped allowing passengers to enter their upgraded ticket’s lounges when they upgraded on the same day of departure. So, this new policy further restricts lounge access and baggage perks for passengers who use points or miles to upgrade at all.
From a passenger perspective, this is a pretty unfortunate devaluation from Qatar and its Qatar Airways Privilege Club program. While those who have upgraded their ticket to a more premium cabin using miles are no longer eligible to get the upgraded cabin’s perks, passengers who book a full award ticket are still eligible for baggage benefits and lounge access. So, for now, you’re still granted all of the perks when flying on an award ticket — it’s only upgraded tickets using points that are being excluded. Hopefully we don’t see those perks go away in the future.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees