This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas just added a new beauty queen to its fleet: a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner named “Emily Kame Kngwarreye”. It’s the latest one in a line of gorgeous jets painted in incredibly colorful liveries inspired by Aboriginal art.
The airline unveiled its newest Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner Wednesday.
The Dreamliner’s custom-painted livery incorporates the airline’s iconic flying kangaroo into the design in earthy red tones and almost 5,000 white dots. The artwork pays homage to the heritage of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, and required over 60 artists and engineers at Boeing’s Seattle facility to complete.
This is the fifth Qantas aircraft featuring indigenous designs.
If you’d like to fly on the Emily Kame Kngwarreye and its 787 brethren, Qantas Dreamliners currently operate between Melbourne and Los Angeles, and the carrier will launch its first nonstop flight between Perth and London on March 24 — the world’s longest nonstop flight, by the way, at 9,010 miles. (Stay tuned for our report on the inaugural flight, on which TPG’s JT Genter has bravely booked a seat in economy class.)
Starting September 1, Qantas will replace its current daily 747 service between Brisbane and New York via Los Angeles with a 787, and will also add a new route between Melbourne and San Francisco. That adds quite a few opportunities for photographers, AvGeeks and planespotters to see the plane, using its tail number VH-ZND to follow it around the world using a flight tracker site.
All images courtesy of Qantas.
Cabin Tour: Qantas 787-9 Business Class
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees