This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Qantas just added a new beauty queen to its fleet: a Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner named “Emily Kame Kngwarreye”. It’s the latest one in a line of gorgeous jets painted in incredibly colorful liveries inspired by Aboriginal art.
The airline unveiled its newest Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner Wednesday.
The Dreamliner’s custom-painted livery incorporates the airline’s iconic flying kangaroo into the design in earthy red tones and almost 5,000 white dots. The artwork pays homage to the heritage of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians, and required over 60 artists and engineers at Boeing’s Seattle facility to complete.
This is the fifth Qantas aircraft featuring indigenous designs.
If you’d like to fly on the Emily Kame Kngwarreye and its 787 brethren, Qantas Dreamliners currently operate between Melbourne and Los Angeles, and the carrier will launch its first nonstop flight between Perth and London on March 24 — the world’s longest nonstop flight, by the way, at 9,010 miles. (Stay tuned for our report on the inaugural flight, on which TPG’s JT Genter has bravely booked a seat in economy class.)
Starting September 1, Qantas will replace its current daily 747 service between Brisbane and New York via Los Angeles with a 787, and will also add a new route between Melbourne and San Francisco. That adds quite a few opportunities for photographers, AvGeeks and planespotters to see the plane, using its tail number VH-ZND to follow it around the world using a flight tracker site.
All images courtesy of Qantas.
Cabin Tour: Qantas 787-9 Business Class
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees