This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using the American Express Platinum Card, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
Top-notch Singapore Airlines is running a “President’s Day Fare Special,” offering deeply discounted premium economy and business class flights to both Europe and Asia. Premium economy fares to Asia can be had for as little as $999 round-trip and business class flights to Europe start at $1,999 round-trip. Singapore Airlines’ sale page lists all 45 discounted routes, which include:
- San Francisco to Hong Kong for $999 round-trip in premium economy
- Los Angeles to Tokyo and Seoul for $1,299 round-trip in premium economy or $2,999 round-trip in business class
- Houston to Manchester, Singapore, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Ho Chi Minh, Manila, Phnom Penh, Denpasar-Bali, Phuket, Cebu and Bangkok for $1,299 round-trip in premium economy
- New York to Frankfurt for $1,399 round-trip in premium economy or $1,999 round-trip in business class
At least, those are the advertised prices. We found that booking through Expedia gets you even cheaper prices: premium economy fares start at $996 round-trip and business class drops to $1,971 round-trip.
Wondering if Singapore Airlines premium economy is worth it over economy? Check out our review of the flight from NYC to Frankfurt. Even 6-foot 7-inch tall The Points Guy fits in premium economy:
The discount is good for flights booked now through Sunday, February 25 on flights May 1 through December 14 for premium economy and May 1 through August 31 for business class. Discounted fares are supposed to be restricted to Monday-Thursday travel, but — in actuality — some deals are also available on the weekends.
Airline: Singapore Airlines
Routes: SFO/JFK/LAX/IAH to HKG/FRA
Cost: $996+ round-trip in premium economy; $1,971+ round-trip in business class
Dates: May to December
Booking Link: Orbitz, Expedia or directly with the airline
Pay With: The Platinum Card from American Express (5x on airfare), Chase Sapphire Reserve, Citi Prestige (3x on airfare plus excellent trip delay insurance) or Chase Sapphire Preferred (2x on travel)
Here are a few examples of what you can book:
San Francisco (SFO) to Hong Kong (HKG) for $996 round-trip in premium economy through Expedia:
New York’s JFK to Frankfurt (FRA) for $1,971 round-trip in business class through Expedia:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Tokyo (NRT) for $1,296 round-trip in premium economy through Expedia:
Los Angeles (LAX) to Seoul (ICN) for $1,296 round-trip in premium economy through Expedia:
Houston (IAH) to Singapore (SIN) for $1,295 round-trip in premium economy through Expedia:
Maximize Your Purchase
Don’t forget to use a credit card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as the American Express Platinum Card (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, or Citi Prestige (3x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this post for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
H/T: Travel Codex
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), up to a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees