United CEO Oscar Munoz and Olympian Gus Kenworthy Talk Travel, 1K Elite Status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The 2018 Winter Olympics kicks off this Friday, with opening ceremony scheduled for 6:00am Eastern Time in Pyeongchang, South Korea. But the latest batch of US Olympians just arrived in Seoul, following a high-profile sendoff at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) Tuesday morning.
I was on hand to capture the excitement, including an interview with United CEO Oscar Munoz and freestyle skier Gus Kenworthy, who won a silver medal at the 2014 Winter Olympics and will compete in Pyeongchang this month.
As with other Olympians, Gus flies United, the official airline of Team USA — not only to and from the Games, but to training events, competitions and promotional gigs as well. The US Olympic Committee typically books athletes in economy, but Gus has earned Premier 1K status, which has landed him upgrades on several flights, as he discussed in an exclusive TPG interview with Oscar Munoz ahead of yesterday’s flight.
Gus scored a seat in business class on yesterday’s 787-9 Dreamliner flight to Seoul (ICN), too, as evidenced by his Instagram Story:
Gus’s partnership with United goes beyond travel, however — the athlete landed a starring role in the airline’s Olympics commercial, so he’ll be making several television appearances between Pyeongchang events, too.
While Gus was clearly the star of the show at SFO, there were a handful of other Team USA athletes making their way to Seoul on Tuesday, too.
Oscar could be seen scanning their boarding passes as they made their way on to the Dreamliner.
With events officially kicking off today, many athletes are already on the ground in Pyeongchang. As a freestyle skier, Gus competes in slopestyle and halfpipe events, which don’t appear to start until next Sunday, February 18 — so he should have plenty of time to adjust to the timezone and kick his jet lag before the real fun begins.
Good luck to Gus and the rest of Team USA!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.