United CEO Oscar Munoz and Olympian Gus Kenworthy Talk Travel, 1K Elite Status
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The 2018 Winter Olympics kicks off this Friday, with opening ceremony scheduled for 6:00am Eastern Time in Pyeongchang, South Korea. But the latest batch of US Olympians just arrived in Seoul, following a high-profile sendoff at San Francisco International Airport (SFO) Tuesday morning.
I was on hand to capture the excitement, including an interview with United CEO Oscar Munoz and freestyle skier Gus Kenworthy, who won a silver medal at the 2014 Winter Olympics and will compete in Pyeongchang this month.
As with other Olympians, Gus flies United, the official airline of Team USA — not only to and from the Games, but to training events, competitions and promotional gigs as well. The US Olympic Committee typically books athletes in economy, but Gus has earned Premier 1K status, which has landed him upgrades on several flights, as he discussed in an exclusive TPG interview with Oscar Munoz ahead of yesterday’s flight.
Gus scored a seat in business class on yesterday’s 787-9 Dreamliner flight to Seoul (ICN), too, as evidenced by his Instagram Story:
Gus’s partnership with United goes beyond travel, however — the athlete landed a starring role in the airline’s Olympics commercial, so he’ll be making several television appearances between Pyeongchang events, too.
While Gus was clearly the star of the show at SFO, there were a handful of other Team USA athletes making their way to Seoul on Tuesday, too.
Oscar could be seen scanning their boarding passes as they made their way on to the Dreamliner.
With events officially kicking off today, many athletes are already on the ground in Pyeongchang. As a freestyle skier, Gus competes in slopestyle and halfpipe events, which don’t appear to start until next Sunday, February 18 — so he should have plenty of time to adjust to the timezone and kick his jet lag before the real fun begins.
Good luck to Gus and the rest of Team USA!
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees