Mount Sinabung Erupts in Indonesia, Airlines Receive ‘Red Notice’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Indonesia’s Mount Sinabung erupted on Monday, causing havoc and confusion on the island of Sumatra. No deaths have been reported in the eruption although smoke and hot ash have reached 23,000 feet in the air.
Indonesia has raised flight warnings for the area and the regional volcanic ash advisory center in Darwin, Australia, issued a “red notice” to airlines, its highest alert. Mount Sinabung last erupted in 2016 and killed seven people. The volcano was dormant for 400 years until it erupted in 2010, with another eruption in 2014.
If the eruption produces an ash plume large enough, flights in the region could be disrupted and airplanes would have to avoid the area, even when overflying the region without stopping. Flights to and from Australia could be affected, for example. Mount Sinabung is relatively close to large international airports like Kuala Lumpur (KUL) and Singapore (SIN), but those have not been affected so far.
Kualanamu International Airport (KNO) is located about 47 miles away from the eruption but has remained open, due to winds blowing ash away from the airport. Meulaboh (MEW) and Silangit airports (DTB) will also continue operations, according to the regional airport authority. authority. Only Kutacane airport (KTC) in Aceh province has been closed.
Large carriers like AirAsia, Garuda Indonesia, Malaysia Airlines and SilkAir serve Kualanamu airport. Medan also is home to many hotels, including properties like the Four Points by Sheraton Medan and JW Marriott Medan.
Disaster agency spokeswoman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said the eruption showered nearby villages with rocks and multiple earthquakes occurred.
Flight activity seemed to be quiet near the site of the eruption according to flight tracking website FlightRadar24, although Lion Air 230 flew near the site of the eruption.
Featured image by Endro Rusharyanto / AFP / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees