This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After investing in classic luggage brands and taking gambles on midrange Instagram fan favorites, it was time to fly test the sensible choice: an affordable suitcase with a slick exterior and noteworthy features that did not match its price tag — or as some may say, a luggage ‘deal’. At first glance, iFLY’s Admiral collection ticks the right boxes, but how does it stack up on a 14-day vacation with multiple plane rides?
The iFLY X Series Admiral can be found at Walmart, and no one can argue with the price point: $139 for a 28″ hard shell case (prices start at $99 for a carry-on) with the standout features we have come to expect from mid-to-high-range luggage, like a scratch resistant exterior, integrated TSA lock, laundry bag, USB port (on carry-ons) and removable garment suiter (on medium and large sizes).
- Lifetime warranty
- Scratch resistant
- Removable garment suiter
- Integrated TSA accepted lock
- Removable laundry bag
- Three full-zip main interior compartments
- Wet pocket
- Rubber grip trolley handle
- Soft gel carry handles
- Expansion zipper adds 2” depth
- Four electroplated 360° double wheels
- Three sets of tie-down straps to keep all your clothes in place
The Fly Test
The iFLY 28″ is a good looking bag. Black, stylish and sophisticated, you wouldn’t price it at $139. The rubber grip trolley handle feels sturdy and the wheels ride across uneven New York roads smoothly. Packing lightly, and neatly, is not my forte; the general rule is three outfit changes per day, right? Luckily, the spacious interior is generous and I could fit in more than enough clothes for my two-week Hawaiian adventure, plus Christmas presents. But I certainly had to use the extra 2″ depth expansion zipper.
The weight of the bag is the first major problem for me. With dimensions of 28” x 18.25” x 13” + 2” expansion, it weighs 13.4 lbs/6.0 kg without clothes, which feels excessively heavy for a bag. As I confessed earlier, I am not the best packer, so the extra bag weight combined with maybe one too many sandals meant that I had to take out some extra weight at the airport before checking in. But I soon realized it was not just the extra sandals or toiletries: the bag was only three-quarters full and way too heavy for a standard US airline’s 50 lb/23 kg weight limit. At every airport stop I was dumping shoes and shoving jackets in my sister’s luggage. If anyone wants a great bottle of grappa or two children’s coloring books, head to the trash cans at the Honolulu airport.
The Take Away
The price tag and capacity is on point. With multiple compartments and removable laundry bag and garment suiter, your clothes will stay put and feel well organized. However, the price tag also reflects the quality of the materials. If a smooth zipper, scuff-free exterior and overall weight are important to you, it might be wise to look around. This bag is going to make great storage for my winter clothes — under my bed. I doubt I will not be bringing it on any other trips unless I’m driving, and only unpacking once.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees