Luggage Review: iFLY X Series Admiral
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After investing in classic luggage brands and taking gambles on midrange Instagram fan favorites, it was time to fly test the sensible choice: an affordable suitcase with a slick exterior and noteworthy features that did not match its price tag — or as some may say, a luggage ‘deal’. At first glance, iFLY’s Admiral collection ticks the right boxes, but how does it stack up on a 14-day vacation with multiple plane rides?
The iFLY X Series Admiral can be found at Walmart, and no one can argue with the price point: $139 for a 28″ hard shell case (prices start at $99 for a carry-on) with the standout features we have come to expect from mid-to-high-range luggage, like a scratch resistant exterior, integrated TSA lock, laundry bag, USB port (on carry-ons) and removable garment suiter (on medium and large sizes).
- Lifetime warranty
- Scratch resistant
- Removable garment suiter
- Integrated TSA accepted lock
- Removable laundry bag
- Three full-zip main interior compartments
- Wet pocket
- Rubber grip trolley handle
- Soft gel carry handles
- Expansion zipper adds 2” depth
- Four electroplated 360° double wheels
- Three sets of tie-down straps to keep all your clothes in place
The Fly Test
The iFLY 28″ is a good looking bag. Black, stylish and sophisticated, you wouldn’t price it at $139. The rubber grip trolley handle feels sturdy and the wheels ride across uneven New York roads smoothly. Packing lightly, and neatly, is not my forte; the general rule is three outfit changes per day, right? Luckily, the spacious interior is generous and I could fit in more than enough clothes for my two-week Hawaiian adventure, plus Christmas presents. But I certainly had to use the extra 2″ depth expansion zipper.
The weight of the bag is the first major problem for me. With dimensions of 28” x 18.25” x 13” + 2” expansion, it weighs 13.4 lbs/6.0 kg without clothes, which feels excessively heavy for a bag. As I confessed earlier, I am not the best packer, so the extra bag weight combined with maybe one too many sandals meant that I had to take out some extra weight at the airport before checking in. But I soon realized it was not just the extra sandals or toiletries: the bag was only three-quarters full and way too heavy for a standard US airline’s 50 lb/23 kg weight limit. At every airport stop I was dumping shoes and shoving jackets in my sister’s luggage. If anyone wants a great bottle of grappa or two children’s coloring books, head to the trash cans at the Honolulu airport.
The Take Away
The price tag and capacity is on point. With multiple compartments and removable laundry bag and garment suiter, your clothes will stay put and feel well organized. However, the price tag also reflects the quality of the materials. If a smooth zipper, scuff-free exterior and overall weight are important to you, it might be wise to look around. This bag is going to make great storage for my winter clothes — under my bed. I doubt I will not be bringing it on any other trips unless I’m driving, and only unpacking once.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.