This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day at TPG than by launching a new series, Love at 35,000 Feet, dedicated to exploring stories from our readers about how points & miles have changed their love lives?
In our first episode, TPG reader Matt tells us how points and miles helped him meet the woman of his dreams on a vacation to Mexico — and how he and Allie then got married.
“If it weren’t for points and miles, I might not have met my wife. I was living and working in New York City and really getting burned out. It was a constant grind day in and day out working in advertising and I just needed to unplug.
So one random weekend I decided to visit my friend at Zihuatanejo, Mexico using my United miles. My first morning there, I opened up the sliding glass doors of my hotel to the beach and there was a blond girl standing there. I later found out she was vacationing with her boyfriend, so we all just hung out on the trip and had a really fun time.
Months later, I got a message from that blond girl — her name is Allie. She wanted to visit New York City from Canada where she was from. She told me that her and her boyfriend had split up, and she wanted to come see me.
After dating long distance for about two years, I moved to Los Angeles. It got really hard, so we decided to break up. After three months of being apart, I knew I didn’t want to be with anyone else. I invited her to come to Punta Mita, Mexico with my friends and I, paying for her flights with my points, of course.
It was there in Punta Mita, looking at her sitting by the pool, when I knew. I couldn’t mess this up! That was the trip when I knew she was the one. We had a destination wedding back in Zihuatanejo, where we just happened to meet three years before.”
A huge thanks to Matt and Allie for sharing their epic points and miles love story!
Do you have a love story that points and miles helped you achieve? Drop us a line and tell us about it at firstname.lastname@example.org — and don’t forget to include some photos!
Featured image courtesy of Matt and Allie Estrada
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards