This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day at TPG than by launching a new series, Love at 35,000 Feet, dedicated to exploring stories from our readers about how points & miles have changed their love lives?
In our first episode, TPG reader Matt tells us how points and miles helped him meet the woman of his dreams on a vacation to Mexico — and how he and Allie then got married.
“If it weren’t for points and miles, I might not have met my wife. I was living and working in New York City and really getting burned out. It was a constant grind day in and day out working in advertising and I just needed to unplug.
So one random weekend I decided to visit my friend at Zihuatanejo, Mexico using my United miles. My first morning there, I opened up the sliding glass doors of my hotel to the beach and there was a blond girl standing there. I later found out she was vacationing with her boyfriend, so we all just hung out on the trip and had a really fun time.
Months later, I got a message from that blond girl — her name is Allie. She wanted to visit New York City from Canada where she was from. She told me that her and her boyfriend had split up, and she wanted to come see me.
After dating long distance for about two years, I moved to Los Angeles. It got really hard, so we decided to break up. After three months of being apart, I knew I didn’t want to be with anyone else. I invited her to come to Punta Mita, Mexico with my friends and I, paying for her flights with my points, of course.
It was there in Punta Mita, looking at her sitting by the pool, when I knew. I couldn’t mess this up! That was the trip when I knew she was the one. We had a destination wedding back in Zihuatanejo, where we just happened to meet three years before.”
A huge thanks to Matt and Allie for sharing their epic points and miles love story!
Do you have a love story that points and miles helped you achieve? Drop us a line and tell us about it at firstname.lastname@example.org — and don’t forget to include some photos!
Featured image courtesy of Matt and Allie Estrada
LIMITED TIME OFFER. Aside from the 100,000 points welcome bonus (available until 8/8/18), Amex recently made huge improvements to the Business Platinum Card, including the fact that you will now earn 50% more points on purchases of $5,000 or more, earn 5x on flights and eligible hotels at Amextravel.com and cardholders will receive a $200 airline fee credit each year.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® Points.
- Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $10,000 & an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $15,000 all on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 8/8/18.†
- Get 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com.
- Get 50% more Membership Rewards® points. That's 1.5 points per dollar, on each eligible purchase of $5,000 or more. You can get up to 1 million additional points per year.
- 35% Airline Bonus: Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year.
- You can also receive 35% points back on all First and Business class flights, with all airlines available through American Express Travel.
- You can enjoy access to The American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ offering access to the most lounges across the globe, when compared with other U.S. credit card offerings. As of 11/2017
- Terms Apply
- See Rates & Fees