Love at 35,000 Feet: A Points & Miles Love Story Spanning Three Countries
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day at TPG than by launching a new series, Love at 35,000 Feet, dedicated to exploring stories from our readers about how points & miles have changed their love lives?
In our first episode, TPG reader Matt tells us how points and miles helped him meet the woman of his dreams on a vacation to Mexico — and how he and Allie then got married.
“If it weren’t for points and miles, I might not have met my wife. I was living and working in New York City and really getting burned out. It was a constant grind day in and day out working in advertising and I just needed to unplug.
So one random weekend I decided to visit my friend at Zihuatanejo, Mexico using my United miles. My first morning there, I opened up the sliding glass doors of my hotel to the beach and there was a blond girl standing there. I later found out she was vacationing with her boyfriend, so we all just hung out on the trip and had a really fun time.
Months later, I got a message from that blond girl — her name is Allie. She wanted to visit New York City from Canada where she was from. She told me that her and her boyfriend had split up, and she wanted to come see me.
After dating long distance for about two years, I moved to Los Angeles. It got really hard, so we decided to break up. After three months of being apart, I knew I didn’t want to be with anyone else. I invited her to come to Punta Mita, Mexico with my friends and I, paying for her flights with my points, of course.
It was there in Punta Mita, looking at her sitting by the pool, when I knew. I couldn’t mess this up! That was the trip when I knew she was the one. We had a destination wedding back in Zihuatanejo, where we just happened to meet three years before.”
A huge thanks to Matt and Allie for sharing their epic points and miles love story!
Do you have a love story that points and miles helped you achieve? Drop us a line and tell us about it at firstname.lastname@example.org — and don’t forget to include some photos!
Featured image courtesy of Matt and Allie Estrada
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees