This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
What better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day at TPG than by launching a new series, Love at 35,000 Feet, dedicated to exploring stories from our readers about how points & miles have changed their love lives?
In our first episode, TPG reader Matt tells us how points and miles helped him meet the woman of his dreams on a vacation to Mexico — and how he and Allie then got married.
“If it weren’t for points and miles, I might not have met my wife. I was living and working in New York City and really getting burned out. It was a constant grind day in and day out working in advertising and I just needed to unplug.
So one random weekend I decided to visit my friend at Zihuatanejo, Mexico using my United miles. My first morning there, I opened up the sliding glass doors of my hotel to the beach and there was a blond girl standing there. I later found out she was vacationing with her boyfriend, so we all just hung out on the trip and had a really fun time.
Months later, I got a message from that blond girl — her name is Allie. She wanted to visit New York City from Canada where she was from. She told me that her and her boyfriend had split up, and she wanted to come see me.
After dating long distance for about two years, I moved to Los Angeles. It got really hard, so we decided to break up. After three months of being apart, I knew I didn’t want to be with anyone else. I invited her to come to Punta Mita, Mexico with my friends and I, paying for her flights with my points, of course.
It was there in Punta Mita, looking at her sitting by the pool, when I knew. I couldn’t mess this up! That was the trip when I knew she was the one. We had a destination wedding back in Zihuatanejo, where we just happened to meet three years before.”
A huge thanks to Matt and Allie for sharing their epic points and miles love story!
Do you have a love story that points and miles helped you achieve? Drop us a line and tell us about it at email@example.com — and don’t forget to include some photos!
Featured image courtesy of Matt and Allie Estrada
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees